Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Best of the Best of What the Homebrew Communities Have Produced ?

Blog Entries

Home/News Whats the Best of the Best of What the Homebrew Communities Have Produced ?

One day i want to write an article or maybe get some of the mainstream media to look at and say look heres what the homebrew scene brings to the Gaming World, yes they would probably think we are just hackers/pirates or whatever but over the last 13 or more years and infact longer if you go back to the days of say the Commodore 64 there has been a heck of a lot of awesome homebrew releases, through each platform that ive posted news on and owned ive seen releases that are jaw dropping and make you want to own that particular console.

So to the people who visit DCEmu, What are the Best of the Best of Homebrew Releases and Why, give any links also so that others can understand your choices.

My favorite homebrew has to be Super Mario War It is a different take on classic gaming. And the custom levels involve the user in the game more. Plus, the many ports to different systems are good.

Can't have a "best of" homebrew list without including Xbox Media Center

Xbox is the only console i've ever bought specifically for homebrew. Xbmc is reason #1. Xports emus are reason #2. Both those are up there for me.

I'd say the 3 Bleemcast disc (full speed PSX emulation for Dreamcsat in 640x480 with bilinear filtering foir three games: Grand Turismo 2 ; Metal Gear Solid and Tekken 3) because it's a masterpiece of "software" That's what I call pushing the hardware to its limit. and also because it's a masterpiece of HARDWARE, this cd is so well protected that nobody ever made a working backup of it, even if it's on an acutal CD, I know no other games for dreamcast or any other "old" consoles that as never been cracked in a way or another...

Respect Randy Linden!

FG

Since I use it nearly every day and just learned I can read comics using it (so I'll be using it even more), I must say Xbox Media Center.

Its what PC based media players should be!

for the nds i'd have to say pocket physics, its just fun to mess about with. i never get bored of it.

Wow... lets see, XBMC would certainly be up there for sure. Snex9X_tyl has to be one of the best emulators also as it's a pretty much flawless SNES emu on the go. But then of course SCUMMVM should be included in any homebrew list also. The shear number of ports this has is staggering enough, let alone it plays some of the best games ever even better than the initial release (based on the fact it removes copy protection).

Not sure if it's technically homebrew or not, but a special mention needs to go to dark_alex for the CFW. Homebrew on PSP was good before he came along, but it became legendary afterwards.

I agree with ScummVM
    being able to play zak mckraken, maniac mansion, sam and max, i have no mouth and i must scream and many games i've never even heard of is so cool.

and being able to save state and throttle rules.

but xbmc is a marvel. the latest release which plays flv's, mov's, avi, divx, ac3...it plays everything. its just amazing.

well, id say the Custom firmware for the psp its a masterpeice of awsome, and from there you can use what ever homebrew you want so there it is lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information