Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build a better VMU?

Default Build a better VMU?

One thing that bothers me is having to swap several vmu's to try and find one save. So why not try and make a vmu with more space. I know there are larger capacity ones in stores, but buying one wouldnt be any fun now would it. I can think of two options, one unreasonable but would be sweet and one that may be possible.

1. To moddify a vmu to read off some type of flash memory card.
    2. To remove the flash chips from a third party "memory card" and add them to a vmu somehow.

Would any of this be possible?

DCEmu Coder

I don't know if a huge vmu would be supported by games, 2x and 4x vmu usually use a switch to swap between 2 or 4 virtual 200blocks vmus.
    I think that a "4000 blocks vmu" would need to be cut in 20 times 200 blocks and would still be a pain to find your savegame.
    But maybe I'm wrong about those bigger vmus.

The vmu itself is what chops the flash memory into fragments and it is very easy to change them. As you can see here is the format of a normal vmus memory.

http://mc.pp.se/dc/vms/flashmem.html

Blocks 200 - 240 are not used and they can easily be unlocked with VMU Tool.

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/index.php?lg=en

So that is proof positive that a vmu can have more than a 200 block segment.
    Now if I knew how to attach a flash card like a SD card then I could "reformat" the VMU and a cheap 64mb sd card could be a (64,000,000 bytes / 512 bytes) 125,000 block vmu plus the 241 blocks that are on it. This would be like having a Hard Drive for saves.

I looked at the back of a SD card today and noticed it requires 3.3v DC, isnt that the same as what the controller feeds a vmu?

EDIT

I see that the vmu is limited in space now, not by 200 blocks but by 128kb.

If the vmu uses flash memory, inst it possible to fuse a memory stick in there?
    (so the flash ram is connected to both, the vmu and DC and to usb via the stick's controller

Ya you could plausably add more flash memory but as I discovered it wouldnt help much since you would have to constantly switch between the many different (I guess you could say Partitions) since the vmu is limited by 128kb at a time. It would be easier to just change vmus.

I understand about the uselessness of adding more flashram,
    but since it's flashram wouldn't it be nice to have a usb-interface using the guts of some cheap ol' thumbdrive?

what 'file system' does that thing use anyway?

The filesystem is or atleast is very similar to FAT16, They couldnt have made it easier to format a VMU drive in windows, In fact every USB card I have ever recived already came formated in FAT16, I Belive after cards much higher than 2GB are released then companys will be forced to use FAT32.

To have a USB attachment would be much easier that any thing else and would most certinly be a major function of any prototypes.

so the vmu is nand flashrom, right?

I think this is a great idea, using those 8mb cards and having to switch the button just to look for a single save is a big pain. Mabye we can try something with the Maple Bus, like have a USB cable connector type thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information