Thread: Null DC News - Dreamcast Emulator for WIndows and Soon PSP/PS3/Xbox/Pandora

Blog Entries

General games Null DC News - Dreamcast Emulator for WIndows and Soon PSP/PS3/Xbox/Pandora

drk||Raziel a frequent member of the Dcemu chatroom has released a news update of his work on his Dreamcast Emulator for Windows and Soon PSP and Maybe Even Xbox and PS3,

Heres the full newspost:

After many many many many many months of inactivity i finaly started some real work on the dynarec.It now features a basic IL with a working decoder frontend and backends for x86/arm/mips-allegrex.Work is currently done to port the code to Wii/ps3/ps2 ( hah !)/xbox.Anyway i don’t feel like writing atm maby i’l edit this post later

*edit #1*

Note that the arm videos are much older than the psp, the arm rec misses MANY opcodes at that point.When ZeZu brings arm on par/i get the beagleboard he mailed speeds should be ~ 3x of what psp gets

*edit #2*

To give some PSP numbers, bios (menu) is up from ~ 1.5 fps to ~9, Doa2 ingame from ~0.8 to ~4.5 , PoP3d from ~ 1.2 to ~9.Only 4x more to get PoP fullspeed

Results :

PSP
    (video by PSPdemon)

BeagleBoard:
    (videos by ZeZu — he’s the one working on the omap front atm)

Bios

Prince Of Persia

This is encouraging news and even better that hes thinking of porting to Wii, PSP, PS3 and Xbox and also a Pandora Port is likely, Give your thoughts on this emulator via comments.

DCEmu Newbie

This is indeed great news.
    I just have one question:
    How is it possible to emulate the Dreamcast on the PSP?
    If I'm not mistaken the Dreamcast used a 200MHZ processor and the PSP has a 333MHZ. I'm by no means a programmer but thought, on average, you needed a system with around 10 - 20 times more power to emulate a lesser system.

DCEmu Rookie

I really want to see this on PS3 but how will it ever be. We just need to hope for 3D access on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweezledap View Post
    This is indeed great news.
    I just have one question:
    How is it possible to emulate the Dreamcast on the PSP?
    If I'm not mistaken the Dreamcast used a 200MHZ processor and the PSP has a 333MHZ. I'm by no means a programmer but thought, on average, you needed a system with around 10 - 20 times more power to emulate a lesser system.
    the DC has 133mhz processor but theres alot more to a processor than clock speed. Keep this in mind, The DC could emulate the ps1 and that was 34 mhz. Infact the DC could emulate ps1 games smoother and faster than the ps1 (commercial bleem) even if you used the leaked bleem beta that still emulated them at like 80-90%. Anyways this is only really a tech demo, its only emulating the bios right now.

It is realy fantastic to know you think it is possible to emulate Dreamcast on xBox 1
    Because today this console with all theire emulator is the real Emulation Museum
    We are many on it playing old games, and Dreamcast is one of the best console of the world lol
    Thanks for it

Quote Originally Posted by Dull Blade View Post
    the DC has 133mhz processor but theres alot more to a processor than clock speed. Keep this in mind, The DC could emulate the ps1 and that was 34 mhz. Infact the DC could emulate ps1 games smoother and faster than the ps1 (commercial bleem) even if you used the leaked bleem beta that still emulated them at like 80-90%. Anyways this is only really a tech demo, its only emulating the bios right now.
    A.) The DC has 200 mhz processor

B.) It does play games.... as my previous and new videos show :P

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=204159
    404 Error: This signature is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by PSPdemon View Post
    A.) The DC has 200 mhz processor

B.) It does play games.... as my previous and new videos show :P

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=204159
    I stand corrected. Thats quite an acheivment. I must of been confusing the GP32 and the DCs clock speeds. (though my DC is OC'd to something like 233mhz thanks to a little internal work )

No news about many time ...
    Who know if the XBOX project will come one day or not?

Thanks

DCEmu Newbie

This project sounds really cool.

Thread Information