Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Games Have Aged The Best?

Blog Entries

General games What Games Have Aged The Best?

This is Tell Us Dammit, no, make that TELL US DAMMIT. Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, reader person.

You probably know oodles about us - more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob - and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban ya. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion.

So, our question is:

All games age, but which games have aged the best? Tell us your top three. Dammit.

http://kotaku.com/5246401/what-games-have-aged-the-best

super mario world( pretty much any mario before or after world but stopping at mario 64) the megaman franchise not counting battle network and the 3D ones. Contra series. Street fighter series. Sonic series up to sonic adventure 2. metroid series( I actually went back recently and beat all of them excluding prime 2 and prime 3, dont have those) thats all i can think of at this time.

DCEmu Newbie

I would say Half-life. It still delivers after 11 years. I would also like to mention the Lucasfilm point-and-click adventure games like Monkey Island, Zak McKraken, Maniac Mansion and Indiana Jones.
    Last edited by gammern; May 9th, 2009 at 12:39.

Just going by what i play most it's Super Mario 3, Street Fighter 2 and Super Mario Kart and i have to say overall Nintendo games have by far the longest replayability.

DCEmu Legend

Right away Super Mario World came to mind... But also, The Legend of Zelda! I still like to play the original NES game and the SNES Link to the Past.

If this is about the old clasic games and their replayability and not the evolution of their iterations.

I'd say not too long ago I was re-engaged into playing pokemon, but the clasics I play the most: Marvel VS Capcom, Fzero and yoshi's Island

Acorn Electron User

Tetris is one that springs to mind. Basic graphics, even at the time it came out but that timeless gameplay.

I think Worms falls into that bracket too and I find 2D shooters still enjoyable today (R-Type on Amiga was ace and I'd imagine I'd still enjoy Super Cars 2 if I could play it again).

I find 2D games age pretty well, certainly from a visual point of view whilst early 3D stuff tends to look so bad now. Some of it still plays pretty well but the visuals really put me off. The 2D stuff seems more timeless to me, but I grew up through the 8 and 16 bit era so I tend to look more favourably on the game from that time.

I guess if I had to pick 3:

1. Tetris
    2. Worms
    3. Not sure about a 3rd but will go for Soul Calibur on Dreamcast (unless it's not old enough). Still plays well and doesn't look too shabby. If you want something older then sure, Super Mario World is a great example.
    Last edited by beetroot bertie; May 9th, 2009 at 19:11.

I second Tetris. I can still imagine people enjoying Tetris in 100 years time, but can't think of any other games I can say this about.

My top 3 would be

Tetris
    Donkey Kong Country
    Yoshis Island
    Last edited by WhizzBang; May 9th, 2009 at 19:17.

Fallout 1 and 2. Those games never get old to me.

Blog Entries

If no one had heard of Mario and Super Mario World came out for DS or something similar it would be huge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information