Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Texture Update !! (News Mar 15th)

PSP User

Back to file sizes, even if it isn't possible to run files larger than 16MB there are still a bunch of great games that are 16MB or less.

Such as -

Goldeneye
    Shadows of the Empire
    Pilotwings 64
    Shadowgate 64
    South Park
    Star Fox 64
    Rainbox Six
    Wipeout 64
    Wave Race 64
    1080 Snowboarding
    Tony Hawk
    California Speed
    San Fransisco Rush 2049

So even with the 16MB limit this emu could bring some amazing games to the PSP. Keep up the good work!

PSP Coder

Guys, You have to realise. Ps1 & n64 are ungodly different in how they handle data.

ps1 runs everything in ram (including the program which is copied from the disc into the ps1's mainram and executed there). Everything needed by the game is loaded into ram. Since CDs were slow most games took this into account and never streamed data, it was all loaded into ram at a load screen then never loaded again (unless streaming audio which is a different story).

N64 on the other hand executes game code from rom. Every cpu instruction (32bit) is directly read from rom. The n64 executes millions of instructions a second, So decompressing instructions would freaking kill the speed. On top of it since the transfer time between rom to ram was so low, many n64 games would directly stream stuff from rom.

Making larger roms work is not as simple as most of you try to make it. It will definantly take quite a bit of time to figure something out. Yet something is posible (atleast for zelda) since nintendo was able to make a method to run zelda on the gamecube.

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Is it possible to extract specific data such as GFX and have that stream off the stick when needed? Or is it a rom by rom basis?

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by yaustar
    Is it possible to extract specific data such as GFX and have that stream off the stick when needed? Or is it a rom by rom basis?
    That is my assumption. In general coding (i'm a comercial gba coder), Roms tend to have the program code at the start of the rom with data appended after the code block. Second, n64 games tend to use th DMA bus to transfer large sets of data. So I can posibly tap that as well. Yet All in all I would need time to experiment and that I could care less to do till after mario64 is fully playable.

DCEmu Rookie

nice to know your real job PSmonkey!
    I was really thinking how you get time to do this emu? hehe

he is a monkey of all trades lets not assume "job" is a flexable title...gr8 work monkey man cant wait to play m64 and some one said earlier this would be "a pretty big acheavment" but its a milestone and a "Miraculous acheavment" and dont rush the master at work young padawans lol he has a life and things other than m64 to so lets not rush the magic..do you rush the person making your food???
    NOT IF YOU LIKE IT FULLY COOKED!!! lol
    peace your out homies

i love progress. good work

Nice progress psmonkey! keep your good work!

RIP: Agapito Elber Gudo.
    RIP: Rosa Melano
    Chema! Te lo lavas!
    Have a nice day! lmao

dont confuse megabits with megabytes.

PSP Coder

Yay, I am sick today.

Anyways I spent some time at lunch correcting my memory handlers (dumped my crap method for pj64 setup). Wile I dont think it made any new games run (it did seem to stop a few from crashing the psp now) it did make a huge impact on the textures in a good way. I just need to spend a little more time adjusting and fixing the textures.

I'm gonna take it easy tonight but hopefuly I can fix the textures tomorrow.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information