Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Counter-Strike 1.5

Default Counter-Strike 1.5

Everytime I play Half-life for DC I always ask myself "Would it be possible to port counter-strike 1.5 or even Day of Defeat to Dreamcast?". It seems like alot of work but since the half-life engine is already ported to DC would it really be so hard. Both the games are very popular and would attract a huge croud of players. Has anyone ever attempted to port CS or DOD before?

DCEmu Newbie

I think its not possible because counter-strike uses a different dll.
    Unless the game was made opensource porting would be hard I guess.

DCEmu Regular

If you want my opinion is...that is possible...Its hard but it can be done....
    Hey someone should work on that.CS will be very cool on the Dreamcast...Can you imagine it?

With any game or program that you buy you are allowed to change any code to your liking as long as you dont sell what you have done without the companys agreement. Therefore it can be done as long as any site that offers it as a download has a disclamer like: In order to download this file you must own a legal PC copy of Half-Life, because it is technically a modified version of the pc version of counter-strike which you must own half-life to play.

With any game or program that you buy you are allowed to change any code to your liking as long as you dont sell what you have done without the companys agreement.
    When yu buy a game, you don't actually buy the game. You buy a license that allows you to play it. The game comes with a EULA that you must obey.

DoD and CS are new games and don't have their source code publicly avalible. Without it, it is technically impossible to port them.

Yes I am aware of this, but there may be ways around the EULA. WON2 has found a loop hole that allows them to make their own game servers for CS 1.5, CS 1.6, DOD 1.3 and CS:CZ. Valve is a little hostle torwards them but they legally wont do anything. You are probally right that public source code would be nessary for a port, not just a mod like they did.

I'd definitely play some CS on the Dreamcast, too bad there's nearly no chance of getting it to play online or anything.
    It would be interesting to see if anyone could actually get this game running on the DC...

Not going to happen as Fackue already said without a OPEN SOURCE CODE it wont work. Also you would have to work around EULA licensing which is illegal or you can by a license.

Eric

DCEmu Regular

It would be really cool to see something like that.

DCEmu Regular

Maybe its hard as we told above but i believe we can find a way through.
    Why Half-life was possible then.Do we know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information