Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: kernel mode knowledge quest

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Cooe14
    Than why do programs seem to run faster with kernel (1.50) than without (2.0+) ?
    because they dont, lol

and its kernEl not kernAl, that was some type error by some retard in a very old system oh and something that doesnt have anything to do with kernel
    read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernal

DCEmu Newbie

if you try quake on a 1.5 psp then try it on a 2.6 psp, you can feel and see a huge difference in speed. Same with other emulators like nester and snes using all the same settings.

Kernal - Keyboard Entry Read, Network, And Link

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PSmonkey
    The reason why wifi needs kernal mode is to load and init prx (think of them as the psp version to a dll) files to access the wifi hardware.
    so basically.. we won't be able to play multiplayer online..

so no GoldenEye deathmatches.. or Perfect Dark, or Southpark, Mario Kart, etc.. online.. becasue kernel mode allows access to the WiFi capabilities..?? im confused..

No, because the new boch eloader lets us use wifi!

Quote Originally Posted by behahwhoalalala
    No, because the new boch eloader lets us use wifi!
    The reason that Quake runs slower in v2.5 firmware compared to 1.5 is due to the network modules in v2.5 do not run properly if you overclock, hence we needed to put a limit in place for the amount that Quake would overclock.

In terms of networking requiring kernel mode, this is not required in v2+ as Sony added a user mode procedure for loading network modules (which made life a lot easier for me and Fanjita to get networking working for all firmwares)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PSmonkey
    No no no no no no no no no no.
    Not a single person here has it right.

User mode gives restrictive access to special parts of the psp hardware (flash/prx loading/etc). Kernal mode gives unrestricted access. It does not unlock any power. A User & Kernal app would run at the same speed.

Iris is using hw 3d and its in user mode. Monkey64 is still in user mode and rendering 3d.

The reason why wifi needs kernal mode is to load and init prx (think of them as the psp version to a dll) files to access the wifi hardware.
    Not fully true
    The Quake PSP team figured out how to load WiFi modules in user mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooe14
    Than why do programs seem to run faster with kernel (1.50) than without (2.0+) ?
    It's all in your mind
    It could be possible that some of GTA is still loaded and running while you are playing your game, which may slow it down, but I doubt it. Fanjita has done a pretty good job with his eLoader. It should stop all the GTA threads before loading your apps.

Quote Originally Posted by cswindle
    The reason that Quake runs slower in v2.5 firmware compared to 1.5 is due to the network modules in v2.5 do not run properly if you overclock, hence we needed to put a limit in place for the amount that Quake would overclock.

In terms of networking requiring kernel mode, this is not required in v2+ as Sony added a user mode procedure for loading network modules (which made life a lot easier for me and Fanjita to get networking working for all firmwares)

Chris
    Will you ever release how this was done? I don't see it in the PSPSDK (it's possible that mine is outdated.. haven't done and svn update in ages).
    I would really like to run my apps in user mode (even on 1.5), just for consistancies sake.
    I know that the eLoader will patch my app to run in user mode, but I would still rather have it run in usermode on 1.0/1.5 also

Quote Originally Posted by Gary13579
    Will you ever release how this was done? I don't see it in the PSPSDK (it's possible that mine is outdated.. haven't done and svn update in ages).
    I am going to sort out a post on PSPDEV with the details of what needed to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary13579
    I would really like to run my apps in user mode (even on 1.5), just for consistancies sake.
    I know that the eLoader will patch my app to run in user mode, but I would still rather have it run in usermode on 1.0/1.5 also
    The function was added in firmware v2, therefore you still need to use kernel mode in v1/1.5.

Chris

Default kernel+user

wy snes9x is slower in user mode than the kernel mode and dont use wifi, it can be posible to have a user version and a kernel version of the emulator and compare the framerate to see the amount of speed? and continue the 2 version like snes9x for make every body hapy if we got results

Quote Originally Posted by tails-lol
    wy snes9x is slower in user mode than the kernel mode and dont use wifi, it can be posible to have a user version and a kernel version of the emulator and compare the framerate to see the amount of speed? and continue the 2 version like snes9x for make every body hapy if we got results
    The reason why SNES9x is so much faster on kernel mode is because it makes use of the ME, which cannot be used on 2.0 or higher (because of user-mode restrictions).
    The ME is a second processor for the PSP, I believe TYL uses it for sound.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information