Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Want Your Video Games As Downloads Or Discs?

Blog Entries

General games Do You Want Your Video Games As Downloads Or Discs?

With the news that Microsoft is offering full retail games on demand and Sony's PSP Go breaking away from the UMD, it seems that the disc's days are numbered. In your opinion, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

http://gizmodo.com/5275886/do-you-wa...loads-or-discs

Blog Entries

Personally id rather have the disc but also the ability to download a digitial copy using my serial number (like blizzard do) should my game get scratches on and make it unplayable

As long as there's no ridiculous DRM restrictions and the price is cheap enough compared to hard copies then it has to be downloads.

DCEmu Old Pro

disk only.

DCEmu Newbie

I'd always want the hard copy. I don't want to be at the whim of any company when it comes to a game. meaning that if your system red rings (360)or HD glitches (Ps3) etc I want to put a disc in and go not either wait to re-dl the game or at the whim of the company they no longer support it ala phantasy star online. I have a fairly substantial game collection and don't mind storing them for the piece of mind and the ability of not letting a company know what I play and when I play it. It's also good because they can't do all that marketing $#@! and flame you with ads etc. Plus with the hard copy you have the ability to buy a game cheaper either used, ebay, amazon etc as obosed to digital download when your subject to retail price of the company doing the digital distrobution. ($2-5 Xbox 1 game vs $10-12 download from live)

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by HI-Saturn View Post
    I'd always want the hard copy. I don't want to be at the whim of any company when it comes to a game. meaning that if your system red rings (360)or HD glitches (Ps3) etc I want to put a disc in and go not either wait to re-dl the game or at the whim of the company they no longer support it ala phantasy star online. I have a fairly substantial game collection and don't mind storing them for the piece of mind and the ability of not letting a company know what I play and when I play it. It's also good because they can't do all that marketing $#@! and flame you with ads etc. Plus with the hard copy you have the ability to buy a game cheaper either used, ebay, amazon etc as obosed to digital download when your subject to retail price of the company doing the digital distrobution. ($2-5 Xbox 1 game vs $10-12 download from live)
    although you may have a point, the people who buy the games originally (not used) will probably be saving money because they don't have to pay for a useless cd. also you can actually burn multiple psp games or whatever to a cd or keep it on your hard drive for later. anyway i do think this is bad for the companies because it will just make pirates start pirating more.

I hate direct download, and after yesterday atleast my wife understands why

She had pre-ordered the Sims 3 for direct download

EA's servers were hammered, the download kept stopping every 10 seconds for a 7 second break

finally 22 hours later she had the game, but heres the deal

For the same price we could have just gone 5 min down the road and gotten it from walmart, in a box on a nice disc and had an instruction manual

What little gas we would have used and the state sales tax would have been alot less than 22 hours of aggravation watching a 5.8 GIG download start and stop constantly, and even dipping down to dialup speeds + if we ever wipe that machine, you cant use the old installer, so, well we have to do it allllll over again

screw that

Blog Entries

i always worry that youll pay and theres a screw up and you get nothing or end up paying twice, companies are notorious for acting the $#@! at refunds

Choice is good (like small games and downloadable con tent) but for big games, box+disk+manual hands down.

DCEmu Newbie

discs because they can be found in bargin bins and I like knowing I have baught something that exists in the physical world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information