Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square-Enix Wants Better Chrono Trigger Sales

NDS Square-Enix Wants Better Chrono Trigger Sales

via IGN

Hoping for a new Chrono Trigger game? Better start buying your grandmother and her dog a copy, too.

Speaking to RPGsite.com, Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto says the franchise hasn't sold well enough to warrant development of a new title in the series. When told fans were clamoring for a new game, Hashimoto shrugged it off.

"That's not what the sales tell me!" Hashimoto said. "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

While sales of the Nintendo DS version of the Super Nintendo classic were somewhat sluggish, with worldwide sales reaching close to 800K last year, it doesn't help the game originally hit retail shelves at a ridiculous $39.99 price point in the North America.

If Square-Enix wants more sales, how about they stop overcharging fans for 14-year old ports?

DCEmu Regular

I totally agree.

People want a S-E-Q-U-E-L. They don't want to re-buy a game they've played on SNES and PS1. Understand, fool!

^ I to agree as well also

Seriously though, I agree. Granted I did buy a copy, but that's because the only other ones that I've played where ROMs / ISOs, but I can see why people who bought the 2 previous releases don't feel like buying this one

Yeah I couldn't afford it PS2 games are around that price when they came out its ridiculous. They need to stop looking at their Money/Greed-O-Meter. They need to look at the economy and what people can afford it shouldn't be about how much money they make it should be how much fun it is.

You want proper sales figures? Count how many times the games been pirated.

DCEmu Rookie

If you want us to buy the game then REMAKE it. By that I mean actually do to it what was done to two final fantasy games on the DS. Seriously, whatw as done there was awesome. That, and a side quest system (perhaps one where you join a guild and perform errands and missions for people in order to gain rewards) would make the game worth buying. But one extra dungeon and a couple of bells and whistles will not be enough to make people buy the game again.

Square puts profit before their fans. This is great from a financial point of view, and it explains why they'll jump on the "most/more popular console" boat. Why else do you think they're releasing Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 in the two regions where it's outsold PS3?

Chrono Trigger was still an excellent game.. One of the best on the SNES. I'm guessing that Chrono Cross just didn't sell well enough for a sequel. I'm sure they're testing how well Chrono fares in terms of sales since a sequel has been in demand for such a long time. If it doesn't sell well enough, then it'll probably go back to being ignored.

DCEmu Newbie

Well, what I have heard, the game wasn't released with multi language support here in Europe, which may have damage the sales figures alot, especially in the younger group of players. They rather take a game in their own language instead of a game in english. I may be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    Square puts profit before their fans. This is great from a financial point of view, and it explains why they'll jump on the "most/more popular console" boat. Why else do you think they're releasing Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 in the two regions where it's outsold PS3?
    Why is this an example of Square putting profit before their fans? If the XBox 360 outsold the PS3 in 2 territories then it is natural to assume many of Squares fans have XBox 360s and not PS3s. Unless Square have any reason to believe western RPG fans are mostly loyally buying PS3's there is no reason for Square to stay PS exclusive.

Chrono Trigger on the DS didn't offer enough new things to tempt me to buy it again (I previously completed it on the PSOne), but I wouldn't mind picking up the NDS version and play ing it through if I see it reduced/second hand at a much lower price in the next year or so.

"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"
    Then some of the editors, should produce more...

In france, this game is very rare, because "Koch Media" produced only a few cartridges...

Many person search it and on ebay, price of this game is sometimes 30% more than the regular retail price.

I don't care, I bought it the day it was out, I love this game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information