Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pachter "regrets" PSP Go "rip-off" comments

Blog Entries

psp Pachter "regrets" PSP Go "rip-off" comments

Industry analysts Michael Pachter has said he "sincerely regrets" saying Sony is "ripping off the consumer" with its $249 price point for PSP Go.

"I sincerely regret the choice of words ... where I said that Sony is "ripping off" the consumer by pricing the PSP Go at $249.99," he said.

"I made a poor choice of words, and I do NOT think that Sony is doing anything nefarious in choosing their pricing strategy," he added, going on to reason: "They have been subsidizing purchases of the PS3 since launch, to the tune of 22 million sold at a loss of $100 or more apiece (on average), so if they are able to make a profit on the PSP Go, more power to them.

"They are pricing at a point that positions the PSP Go competitively with the iPod Touch, and the PSP Go arguably has much more value than the Apple product. Notwithstanding my view that the price point is too high to generate more than a few million units sold, I really think my comment was unfair," he told Industry Gamers.

Pachter made the original offending statements during an interview earlier this week when he said: "[Sony are] ripping off the consumer until they sell a couple million and if consumers don't buy it then the price is going to come down."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=217398

DCEmu Newbie

Sounds like he heard from Sony's lawyers. :rofl:

He may regret what he said, but it was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberman View Post
    Sounds like he heard from Sony's lawyers. :rofl:

He may regret what he said, but it was the truth.
    SOny is still ripping off customers with the "update."

someone lost their balls

so, what are we suposta feel bad for sony cause they made the ps3 a overpriced white elephant?

Agreed, quite an obviously motivated about-face.

Pity for them we're not idiots, and we pay attention to these things.

Isn't it only a rip-off if you buy it and don't need/want one? I'd go with yes then, it is a rip-off, and I am not fighting for the price point but if it's too much there's always the PSP-3000 is there not?
    It's new, and smaller so it makes sense to cost more but alright, however I find it strange he changed his "opinion" or whatever the hell you get paid for to say stuff XD

newer and smaller doesnt really make a difference when its OLD tech

Theres less metal in the thing, no moving parts, lasers and a smaller screen

the thing should actually be a little bit cheaper (especially with the prices of raw flash memory)

the name of the electronics game is "smaller faster cheaper better"

what sony has is

"smaller, same, more expensive, and only better to anyone that wont go out and buy a 50$ flash card"

if you dont already have one great, but you can still have a 16 gig psp AND a game for the same price, so the wise consumer should not be interested in the gadgetry

its a sega move, in kin to the 32X, and just wait, cause next year sony will show you the psp2

It is most likely cheaper to make, but new things usually don't tend to cost less or the same normally.
    This is a re-design after all(not a rehaul), and mainly aimed at people whom don't want a UMD drive is what I imagine, and if they already had one they could trade in their current and probably get a decent deal for the Go.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is just a PSP after all, not a PSP2.
    I think it should be cheaper(200 would be better), but I can't say I quite believe you're being ripped off as long as you have the choice of a PSP-3000.(if it's taken off the market, then I'll change my mind)
    But it seems with technology, or at least electronic devices, in general, if it's smaller it normally costs more. Don't understand why, but go figure.

I respect your opinion though, it at least has reasons why besides the more obvious ones.
    I am wondering however if the PSP2 will be announced, it seems a little less likely with the good games announced for PSP currently but still.

Quote Originally Posted by osgeld View Post
    newer and smaller doesnt really make a difference when its OLD tech

Theres less metal in the thing, no moving parts, lasers and a smaller screen

the thing should actually be a little bit cheaper (especially with the prices of raw flash memory)

the name of the electronics game is "smaller faster cheaper better"

what sony has is

"smaller, same, more expensive, and only better to anyone that wont go out and buy a 50$ flash card"

if you dont already have one great, but you can still have a 16 gig psp AND a game for the same price, so the wise consumer should not be interested in the gadgetry

its a sega move, in kin to the 32X, and just wait, cause next year sony will show you the psp2

DCEmu Regular

chicken

DCEmu Rookie

Hey, even if he changed his mind that will still not change the fact that the PSP Go is a rip off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information