Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Question Time

DCEmu_Newsposter

Default Forum Question Time

One of the reasons i opened this site was to have a great forum for Dreamcast Fans as a base but for all console emulation as well. [br][br]Recent events have brought me to question the use of Yabb in our forum we do seem to be having a few minor glitches and i dont want to lose any posts.[br][br]So this is a question to all those who use our forums and thats Dreamcast and fans of other consoles. Shall we keep using Yabb or swap over to a PHPBB forum or even a Invision Forum.[br][br]As long as i can have a few features i require then im happy, i look forward to your views.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forum Question Time

News Comments
    Forum Topics on front page and other sites
    whos online feature

they are 3 i require

maybe PHPbb will be the one

phpBB definately.

Everyone already should know my feelings on this matter. I am a huge supporter of YaBB. I think any glitches you are experiencing are easily rectified if you take the time to figure out what they are and you fix them. Also - if you do regular back-ups of your forums, then you will never lose anything. There are enough webmasters at this site, that there should be no problem backing these boards up two to three times a day. And the best part is - if you back-up YaBB forums, then they are on your harddrive, so you don't have to rely on your server. If your server crashes, if's very easy to re-create your forums quickly. It's a simple matter of re-uploading the files.

I know that I tend to fight a losing battle when it comes to arguing for YaBB, as I am one of only two in this community that really seem to support it, but I go on with it anyway.

I will tell you this - you will not find a better support community for any other forum software than you have for YaBB.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

DCEmu Pro

Im guessin this is on an apache server or I'd have thrown snitz into the mix. I don't think it really maters, maybe a php based forum would be quicker loading for us 56kers though.

[quote author=Curtiss Grymala link=board=news;num=1098525703;start=0#3 date=10/23/04 at 07:14:24]I will tell you this - you will not find a better support community for any other forum software than you have for YaBB.[/quote]The support community for phpBB is at least as good as YaBB's.

At either board's support forums, you ask a question and you get a reply in at most 12hours, so both are good.

And, as for having a copy on the hard drive - CGI message forums are bad news. Any forum that saves it's information in plain text files on the server is asking to be hacked. At least go with YaBB SE - so at least you have the comfort of having your information saved in a more secure MySQL database.

If you want a backup on your hard drive, you can use phpmyadmin - you can do so with either phpBB or YaBB SE.

YaBB has so many security flaws it's not funny - YaBB SE is better, but it's still in it's beta stages.

I've also heard that mySQL support will be forthcoming in YaBB (regular) soon (if not already). So, definately go for that if you want YaBB.

phpBB still gets my vote though. I used to be a big supporter of YaBB, but I've seen more security flaws and bugs in YaBB than I can shake a stick at.

There's a reason most serious administrators warn against using YaBB as your forum software - it's buggy as a rotten apple.

invision bb?

DCEmu Newbie

PHPBB for sure.

tinku

I really like phpbb...

...but you can do nice things with YaBB and get some great style and look with it too:

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php

(nothing special here, I just like the design/colors etc)

Chris

DCEmu Regular

I don't know which one to say to go with... phbb i giuess. i don't want to be saying the wrong thing. I dont know, but whatever works better so thatt things don't get lost, easier to brows stuff, and mayber sort out actually dreamcast related posts in the "new posts" on 1st page. if thats bad to say, sorry in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information