Thread: (possible?)Playing PSP from a PS2 Wireless controller

Default (possible?)Playing PSP from a PS2 Wireless controller

Hi.

First of I know some people are gonna itch stating that there's a reason why they named the gadget PSP, being that last "P" for portable...See I knew that eons ago, so rant on if you think it's usefull.

Okay, the reason why I want to share this idea in the first place is because I know a lot of people who own PSP's and secondly they also own cradles were they rest their PSP's, at home, in the car, etc. So I just thought it would be fun to still be able to enjoy playing on your cradled PSP every now and then from at most 2 to 4 feets distance. Sometimes I play so much that later my neck aches. I wish I could just set it down & continue playing.

+ It would be very practical mostly in a car, were your PSP is resting still in the cradle (I cradle my PSP on top of my dashboard, for watching movies...not while driving BTW if you must know...) But this isn't about being able to control the movie watching, as there are already commercial PSP cradles out there wich sport a wireless controller...it's just not suitable for gaming. I'm talking about being able to control anything(gaming, music, movies, internet, homebrew) on the PSP without having to touch the panel.

I think this could somehow be done with a little modding to a PS2 wireless controller port...These controllers support r/f wireless mode(whatever that means) Or maybe someone can make a code application that would map the PSP controls and send the signal onto the wireless controller & back...

Maybe I'm talking a lot of gibberish...I don't know about any of this, but I wonder if it could be done...Please don't point out my idea as useless if you don't have nothing good to say. Thank you.

DCEmu Regular

The controllers are broadcasting in RF, not 802.11b wifi, which is incompatible and a different standard. ^_^; What you're suggesting is like trying to control your television (ir-infrared) with your wireless controller (rf-radio). =D Unless you can blue shift it by -alot-.. but that's not possible, so let's not get into that.

What would probably serve you better is the mod for your PSP that allows you to not only output the image to the television, but lets you use a PS2 controller to control the PSP. This would be able to do what what want, though I can't vouch for the wireless controller (I'm fairly confident that it'd work, though).

The PSPtoTV would let you plug in a wireless controller.... but in order to have a wireless controller it would need to be IR like your TV remote... or in 802.11b wifi... if you wanted to drain your battery

Best thing would be PSPtoTV or if someone like Datel made an IR controller... the PSP receives/sends IR nice enough for a controller from what i know...

DCEmu Regular

O_o But if you were to use IR to interface with your PSP.. that means that the top of the PSP is facing you, and therefore you're not looking at the screen. ^_- Unless you setup a mirror system to bounce the signal, but then.. really, you're just getting a little too hardcore (not to mention, I don't think I remember any IR controllers since... the SNES, maybe? I remember an NES one, definitely). Best bet is PSPtoTV.

Thanks to your kind and thoughfull responses... I guess it's up to some accessory developer to make this then....I think the demand for this product is next to zilch too..Oh well, here's to hoping.

Thread Information