Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey64 Update

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bugo
    guys, please! Dont compare a pentium 2 with a PSP, its not equal, and not close. Its better to compare ps2 with PSP then...

Is there a n64 emu for ps2?
    I'm not sure, but there is one for Xbox and it only runs a handful of games well.

Nice. After release this, feel free to relax all you want you surely earned it.
    PS: I don't understand how games like 007 The World is Not enough are too big for the PSP, because when I checked, their size was only like 27 MB each. Does this have to do with all of that loading or something?

all the roms must be loaded on to the psp's ram. The psp has 32 mb of ram but after the psp os, kernal, and the n64 emulator there is only about 16 mb left to store the roms on.
    An n64 emu would run so much nicer if sony hadnt been so cheap and just had 64 mb of ram instead of 32.

DCEmu Newbie

DarkPSP, as best I understand it, yes it has to do with loading. See the emulator hastoo load the game and with the limited memory a 27mb is too large. If/once PSMonkey or someone else developes a streaming process it shouldnt be a problem.

Yes, after all the kernel stuff is loaded, the PSP has about 24 MB of RAM. This 24 MB of RAM has to hold all the textures and other stuff, while containing the actual ROM. So I believe, any ROM bigger then ~15mb won't work.
    As Mysteryman said, someone could develop a streaming method. This way, the actual ROM stays on the mem stick, but as calls are made that require files from the ROM, they are loaded from it on the memory stick.

DCEmu Newbie

What about a compressed rom?

Pretty sure compressed ROMs would require more memory. The file may be smaller on the mem stick, but not only do you have to have the entire ROM loaded in memory, but you also have to have enough RAM free to decompress the files.
    If you're thinking of storing the actual ROM in RAM as compressed.. That is just about the same as streaming it from the mem stick (IIRC), but it would be slower.

Edit: Oh yeah, question for you PSmonkey. According to a post made by you on PSP Updates, using kernel mode would not increase speeds at all. Surely you could use the ME, even if it is only for sound?
    I know we haven't fully unlocked the ME, but the SNES9x TYL authors have managed to do it, so it is possible.
    Not that I'm complaining, if you can get it working in user mode, more power to you

DCEmu Newbie

this just just a guess, but a rom file is the image of the n64 cartridge, so it must contain the meshes, skeletons, textures, sounds, code, etc. that is used in the game. So couldn't you dissect the rom file and devide it up into all of those on the memory stick, and then load the specific meshes, textures, sounds, etc. for the level? Like when you start up Mario 64 it would load up the castle, but when you stepped into a picture it would then load up the files the level inside the picture needs.

That would be cool Infernux But I think that is imposible!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMace
    all the roms must be loaded on to the psp's ram. The psp has 32 mb of ram but after the psp os, kernal, and the n64 emulator there is only about 16 mb left to store the roms on.
    An n64 emu would run so much nicer if sony hadnt been so cheap and just had 64 mb of ram instead of 32.
    is there any possible way of increasing ram

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information