Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey64 Update

Quote Originally Posted by psphack
    you should work on kernal first then go to usermode after it would be eazier
    1) He's already explained his reasoning for his decision.

2) How the HELL would it be easier to START in kernel?

2) Dude, judging from that single post, I doubt you have much if any coding experience at all.

I think it's a good idea that PSmonkey is keeping M64 in user mode

WOOHOO!!! I`m stealing cousin's wifi on my PSP!!! Not realy, he is right beside me LOL this took me forever

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Lumir
    About the streaming from the mem stick. I have heard that this is a slow process for some reason. Just recently i bought a new sony high speed 2gig mem stick that has a read/transfer speed of 80mbps. Now games like perfect dark.z64 are only 33.5mb, so am i missing anything? Couse the way i see it the rom should stream to the psp almost instantly. Now i dont have any experience known to me in this area but the only conclusion i can come up for a reason that the streaming might be slow with the 80mbps mem stick is simply due to the PSP's ability to read and process the data.

Any ideas? Please inform me, as im intrested.
    Now write a simple app that constantly reads in 1 32bit value. You'll find it very slow.

There is a huge difference between burst & stream reads. The first build of nincest actualy read in 2 bytes, swaped them and then repeat till the rom was finished. A 2MB rom would take about a min. to load. Yet If I stream the whole thing into ram first then process, its mear seconds.

People need to remember. N64 & practicaly all cart systems read the game code or instructions directly from the cart. This is extreamly different then disc systems like ps1/ps2/dreamcast/xbox/psp/.... which actualy copy the entire program into ram and execute it there.

I've though of many methods to try holding the rom but what is the use? I still can not even play mario64 yet. So that is why I don't really give a damn still. Once I can run a large part of 16MB or less roms, then I will take the time to develope something. Yet till then, whats it gonna do? Slow down everything else just so we can say zelda loads and does nothing?

very informal i had a similar question

Oh and for the thing about booting PJ64 through Bochs:

From my understanding this is how it would work, although don't quote me on this. To emulate a system sufficiently, it would have to be roughly ten times as powerful as what it's trying to emulate. Now, when you run an emulator inside THAT emulator, you multiply the two tens, therefore the system doing the emulation would have to be 100 times as powerful to execute the emulator within an emulator at decent speed. But take into account the fact that N64 and PSP have very similar architecture, and I'd GUESS it would have to be around 50-70 times as powerful. And besides, does PJ64 work on a Windows 95 anyway? =P

Again though, none of that is for sure on my part, I kinda just peiced together stuff I have heard while participating in the PSP scene.

DCEmu Rookie

Yah, I said that on the other day, let Monkey develop important things first. Graphics, speed and compatibility with 16 roms

DCEmu Newbie

heres something that laxera said

For a N64 emu, the biggest issue is not the rendering (most likely the calls can be converted easily to PSP calls I bet). For me the biggest issue is to emulate a 80 Mhz + audio + other stuff on a 333Mhz cpu.

Dont forget that the Snes cpu is roughly 2 to 3 Mhz. Technics like JIT can probably improve the emulation speed from x5 to x10. I bet it is going to be THE core improvment for a N64 emu.
    I was thinking since a long time about a JIT for the Snes, but there is a lot of "dirty" stuff that do not allow such technique to be easy in our case (and I am not talking about the necessary time for dev).

DCEmu Newbie

Just a thought, I have no experience in terms of coding or any of the internal stuff that goes on inside the PSP, but as you can run Windows 95 on the PSP, couldn't you run a windows based N64 emulator through windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris4PM
    Just a thought, I have no experience in terms of coding or any of the internal stuff that goes on inside the PSP, but as you can run Windows 95 on the PSP, couldn't you run a windows based N64 emulator through windows?
    No. Windows 95 is being emulated on the PSP, and to be fair its not very good. To even attempt to run an N64 emu inside that would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ZFB8
    Oh and for the thing about booting PJ64 through Bochs:

From my understanding this is how it would work, although don't quote me on this. To emulate a system sufficiently, it would have to be roughly ten times as powerful as what it's trying to emulate. Now, when you run an emulator inside THAT emulator, you multiply the two tens, therefore the system doing the emulation would have to be 100 times as powerful to execute the emulator within an emulator at decent speed. But take into account the fact that N64 and PSP have very similar architecture, and I'd GUESS it would have to be around 50-70 times as powerful. And besides, does Bochs work on a Windows 95 anyway? =P

Again though, none of that is for sure on my part, I kinda just peiced together stuff I have heard while participating in the PSP scene.
    Pretty true, but you have to remember that you are emulating the x86 processor. So any hope you had of the PSP/N64 processor relationship you had is now destroyed.

Thread Information