Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The PSP - Has it Lived up to your Expectations ?

Blog Entries

Question The PSP - Has it Lived up to your Expectations ?

The PSP was touted as an amazing console with the look of a porsche and awesome graphics in game and with the addition of what is an amazing homebrew scene but has it lived up to the expectations that sold it to you in the first place.

Answer via the comments

the psp has come a long way and the homebrew i can see coming through nicly psp is still way to expensive

It has... and then some. But only because of the psp coders. Sony gave me a half full glass, the coders topped it up.

DCEmu Newbie

I had a DS first and then I bought a PSP and I thought "o my god" and i left my ds at home and then sold it. I loved my PSP, i took it everywhere I went, i even slept with it. Unfortunatly my PSP didnt return the love. My experiences with PSP have been disastrous. My oriiginal psp developed a noise in the umd drive and the games would stop in the middle. I got a refurbished one and was happy again, but soon after that the new ones analog stick unit broke and i could only play games with the dpad, and that only with the psp putting a downright tilt on the charecters your controlling. I finally got a new analog stick unit and put it in but now the umd drive wont work at all. So now ive bought a new DS and am back to where i started from. $onys workmanship leaves much to be desired.

im happy. and with every major homebrew update and release (psmonkeys WIP updates for monkey 64 and iris especially) it gets even better.

DCEmu Newbie

Glad this thread has started.
    I've been hugely disappointed by the lack of decent PSP games.
    The homebrew scene is great, but I'd prefer not to have to revisit my youth and play emu games to enjoy myself.
    I have complete respect for all the coders out their doing their utmost to improve the homebrew scene, but come on official game coders make some good bloody games!!
    We got a very poor version of ProEvo and will keep getting ports and remakes of old games.
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a DS Lite 'cos Advanced Wars is great and the New Zelda coming out looks awesome.
    Come on Sony, pull your finger out!!

I just got my PSP, my cousin came in from Florida and I got to messing around with his and loved it. But the only reason I loved it was for the 4g storage for all my music needs and that the generous coders out there made it rock by letting me play "old" games. I have GTA ordered and looking forward to getting the ball rolling on getting all the great NES and SNES games I grew up loving. Thanks a ton to you coders out there keep rockin' !

Honsetly, no. Like others have said, my disappointment in the PSP does not, by any means reflect the homebrew movement, only the official support and direction of the system. I waited patiently for the PSP for over two years, and now it's been out for well over a year and there are still hardly any games that even look attractive. Yet, there is a plentiful selection of UMD movies... Oh! And on top of the fact that there aren't many games that look good to begin with, most of the ones I do want require some sort of hack to run (if they'll run at all) on my 1.50, so I'm forced to either support ISO loaders, which I'm generally opposed to, or just ignore commercial releases entirely. Don't get me wrong, homebrew's great, but it's only icing on the cake. I originally wanted the PSP to play commercial games. But I guess that's actually not much of a problem right now since there aren't that many games I'm interested in. If there were 10+, then I'd seriously look into getting a second PSP. Actually, the lack of games for it is probably the point I'm most disappointed with. The DS is a rediculous gimmick in my opinion, so I can't begin to describe the disappointment I felt when I started wanting one. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason that the PSP shouldn't have a library comprable to the DS's, but while DS users are getting a steady stream of great titles, all we're getting is a trickle of mediocre ones.

But I ramble. The PSP is neat, but it's just not as useful as it could be. Thankfully one of the reasons I got it was to program and make content specifically for it, so as long as that's an option I can never say I'm completely dissatisfied with the PSP. Just wish I had more time devote to that pursuit (!_!)

This might sound kinda weak, but i never owned an Ipod. So the mp3 portable music thing was new to me. That being said, the psp is awesome! I can take it anywhere, and have games, vids, mp3's. I am so glad i never bought an ipod. I will agree with the others that the majority of the games suck. I am a first person shooter fan, and the best FPS games are the emulators for Doom, and Quake. Games from ten years ago plus. But, our generous coders ROCK! Keep up the great work guys! The biggest gripe I have about the mp3 player is no treble or bass adjustment! Come on Sony! So the way i see it, the PSP is a great mp3 player, with alot of great extras. I take it everywhere, and am very happy with it.

DCEmu Regular

For me I would say yes, but not a huge yes. The main reason i got my jap psp was the fact that Ridge Racers was coming out for it at launch. I am such a huge fan of the series and seeing it running 60fps on a sweet looking hand held had me sold. Seeing that game running when I got mine durring the japanese launch really amazed me. The other reason I bought it was that I knew about the GP32 and it's homebrew and thought the psp would be amazing for homebrew, and it has. It's really the homebrew that has made me love my psp so much. However with the lack of "emulator" updates over the past couple months and some really good umd games like Ys Ark of Napishtim (besides load times it's still amazing) Gradius Portable, SFA3M, and the soon to be released Ghouls n' Ghosts game I was forced to update rather than wait to play it with a UMD loader. I love everything the homebrew coders have done. It really has made me enjoy my psp and I'm sure I will in the future Most of my time as of late though is with my lovely GP2x playing full speed genesis/mega drive, neo-geo mvs, and mame.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information