Thread: PSPgo packs a 480MHz processor, probably not crossing 333MHz mark

Blog Entries

psp PSPgo packs a 480MHz processor, probably not crossing 333MHz mark

Officially, Sony's PSPgo is only clocking in at 333MHz like the rest of its brothers and sisters, but as the gang at Sony Insider found out in the FCC filing, the internal processor actually maxes out at 480MHz. What that means for gamers is probably nothing in the near future, since the firmware'll underclock it to standard speeds and we've seen absolutely no sign Sony's interested in releasing software exclusively for the UMD-less iteration at this point. Of course, the opportunity to capitalize on the upped hardware is gonna be there, and we still remember a noticeable difference in the technical quality of games released after Sony bumped its original PSP's clockspeed from 266MHz to its max 333MHz, but for now, it's just something to keep in the back of your mind.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/02/p...ng-333mhz-mar/

Wow think of the emulators and how fast they will run on a 480MHz processor, full speed N64?, full speed Snes and a full speed non Sony PSX Emulator ?

SNES and PS1 emulators are fine on current PSPs. It could help only N64, but still It won't have CFW for years.

I would not be going nuts yet, just becuase the cpu can operate at a max of 480mhz doesnt mean it really can

FCC is interested in what kind of radio interference this thing is capable of. They could not give less of a crap about if its actually useable or even stable at those speeds

Its interesting to know, and to keep an eye on, but not to instantly get in a tizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Nokiaman View Post
    but still It won't have CFW for years.
    Wow, why would you think that, the 3000 got hacked within a few months, it shouldn't take long for the Go to get hacked

Also, it's not just emulators, homebrew in general could get much better with this

DCEmu Regular

I am still nonplussed about the PSPGO.
    I do like yearly hardware itereations, only if they can actually improve the system.

My complaint, "Where the hell is the second analog!?"

An 16 button layout instead of the 14 button layout. The flip out controlls might have been able to support 6 buttons instead of 4.

Why a smaller screen?

I do like the flip out compact layout.

UMD's are great but the MiniDiscs they were based on would've been cheaper and better. Either way it is now a moot point. Without them I wonder about media rights and being able to either back up my games my self -or- have Sony keep track of my purchases for all eternity.
    Last edited by guymelef; July 3rd, 2009 at 22:28.

DCEmu Newbie

...PLEASE COME WITH FIRMWARE 5.03...Then I will buy you day 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Nokiaman View Post
    SNES and PS1 emulators are fine on current PSPs. It could help only N64, but still It won't have CFW for years.
    I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong, but I haven't seen a SNES emulator on PSP that doesn't bog down during Mode 7 effects. That has little to do with the current PSP spec though.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by guymelef View Post

An 16 button layout instead of the 14 button layout. The flip out controlls might have been able to support 6 buttons instead of 4.

Why a smaller screen?

thats what i say

My complaint, "Where the hell is the second analog!?"
    An 16 button layout instead of the 14 button layout. The flip out controlls might have been able to support 6 buttons instead of 4
    Simple: Compatibility with older iterations of the handheld. People who just bought PSP-3000 wouldnt be happy if suddenly many games for PSP-Go just dont work in their PSPs due the lack of an analog or extra buttons.
    I really dont expect such things in PSP. Only in PSP2 which should be rather different.

Why a smaller screen?
    The only reasonable explanation is to cut manufacturing costs. But it sucks anyway.

flip out compact layout.
    Sure a good one would be welcome. But the actual one still appears me awkward.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by darkriku2000 View Post
    Wow, why would you think that, the 3000 got hacked within a few months, it shouldn't take long for the Go to get hacked

Also, it's not just emulators, homebrew in general could get much better with this
    IMHO, the current "hacking" of the PSP3000 sucks a$$

Having to start ChickHEN EVERY SINGLE TIME isn't that much of a good hack. Sure it's better than nothing
    And please do not say "put it in standby", because a PSP isn't made to stay in standby all the time
    Last edited by sappo; July 4th, 2009 at 19:40.

Thread Information