Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #3)

Blog Entries

General games The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #3)

To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

With the new Network Forum i only need to post this once for it to show on all the sites

Heres question 3

What has been the most Amazing Homebrew or Emulation Release you have Played with ?

The most amazing for me goes back some years and im split between 2 releases so ill post them both.

UltraHLE- the N64 Emulator

This emulator came from no where and all of a sudden you could play Mario 64 and a load of the other top Nintendo 64 games on your PC, amazing release and the frenzy around it was awesome.

Bleemcast - the Playstation Emulator

This was another fantastic emulator that took my breath away and it was awesome to play my playstatio games on my PC instead of the Playstation.

Thats the release(s) that really amazed me then and still do today, Whats yours ?

My PC is constructed from ancient parts it doesn't run cool apps like that, it won't even run any gba it even has problems with a few of my NES roms which is odd cuz it plays my SNES roms fine....So I have to go with YoyoFr great release of SNESTYL fantastic app, tho there are MANY cool little homebrew apps that have nothing to do with emu.

Well for me it has to be the first real emulator i tryed on my computer and that was project 64 i was soo happy that i could of played all my old games on my computer and in higher definition yes real HD lol.It made me convert one of my xbox controllers into a usb on one end to connect to my computer and use it for all my games. This started me in using all other emulators like snes ,nes,gba,gbc,i tryed to get playstation one but it was confusing at the time but mentioning it ill give it a another go. If anybody can point me to a good one ill be extremely happy so i can play my favorite games on it like gran turismo 2 and metal gear solid yes good times good times..lol

Dream Coder

Neocd/sdl v5

It was the first publicly released emulation project I ever contributed to. I remember going to school the morning that it was going to be released with a copy of it and showing it to my programming class after not having slept the prior night (spent the whole night helping IMR to get that region selection working properly).
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

PSP Coder

The UltraHLE N64 emulator was dope because it leveraged the power of the computer to emulate the system. That was totally unique and worked great but was not a real emulator in the same way MAME is. MAME blows me away because that project keeps getting expanded and gets better and better. I wish in some ways it would use High Level Emulation like UltraHLE because then you would be able to play some of the newer games at full speed. MAME is my all time favorite because I can play all my old school favorite arade games like Starwars and TRON. Daphne is a cool one too because you can play some of the old laserdisc games like Dragons Lair.

For homebrew I would have to say it is PSP Rhythm, because I am programming it and I have almost reached my goal of having a program similar to the classic Rebirth audio program. I have learned a lot from programming that and when my brother and I come up with crazy ideas to implement it is exciting figuring something out I would have though was impossible for me before I started it.

DCEmu Newbie

i remember my first emulators NO$GMB , and Zsnes....this was the first time figuring out what emulators and roms were...it was such a long time ago.....i used to run these progs on a 486. haha but back then it was heaven, hell it still is.

DCEmu Newbie

Umm... Bleemcast actually was a commercial release allowing you to play certain (very few) Playstation games on the Dreamcast. Bleem was the original emulator for PC which started as homebrew (I believe) but grew into a commercial enterprise, which Sony, sadly, managed to shut down through brute force and immoral tactics.

Personally, though, I'd have to say the best I've messed with has got to be Xbox Media Center, as it has been the most robust and most heavily supported homebrew application ever created (correct me if I'm wrong) - taking a $150 console (or more if you purchased the system earlier) and turning it into the best media player ever produced (beating out units costing upwards of $500 without even half the features, extensibility and usability). Now, I have all my DVDs - movies and shows alike - backed up onto my Xbox and I can watch anything I have in my collection without ever worrying about scratching my originals, or even carrying them with me.

I agree with Takieda that XBMC is probably the best homebrew ever. But the most amazing thing for me are some of the PSP emulators. The ones that surprize me are Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem', and Rise of the Triad. Emu's that play the older PC games on the PSP. Ten years ago, you could only play these games on an expensive PC. Hell, I bought my first PC in '97 for about $3000.00! Being able to bring these great games back, I think, is what keeps the PSP exciting for me. These FPS games are some of the best titles ever! I don't care what the younger guys think. If you are not trying these games out on the PSP because you think they are too old, you are missing out big time! And you are not a true gamer!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsorrow
    i remember my first emulators NO$GMB , and Zsnes....this was the first time figuring out what emulators and roms were...it was such a long time ago.....i used to run these progs on a 486. haha but back then it was heaven, hell it still is.
    Yeah I remember those days too

The very first emulator i used was Nesticle for Dos i believe it was at the time. I was amazed just cause well yeah at the time i didnt own the system and i hadnt played it in alongtime so i thought id give it a test shot on this old 386 PC that i had. After awhile i bought the Sega Dreamcast and started using Nester DC and once again was quite amazed at the emulator. I had also tested DreamSNES and used SNESX9 on my parents pc.

Those were my favs i have plenty others that i dont really use i dont really use many emulators anymore cause i much rather play the games on the original systems. Emulation isnt 100% perfect well neither is the original system but it was meant for that system. I only use Emulation for beta testing purposes now cause now i'm all about homebrew games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information