Thread: Xbox 720 and PS4 will be browser-based

Blog Entries

General games Xbox 720 and PS4 will be browser-based

The traditional console hardware cycle is broken – this we know. But veteran games developer Matt Spall yesterday went one further yesterday at the Develop Conference, claiming that we will never see another ‘traditional’ console coming to the market.

Speaking of the rising importance of cloud computing, which was made all the more topical by David Perry’s talk concerning his upcoming Gaikai cloud gaming tech, Spall echoed earlier sentiments that gaming hardware as we know is heading to extinction.
    “I think the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii will be purely browser-based systems,” he told the audience. “Things will change a great deal.”
    Spall earlier this year re-acquired casual games studio Gimme5Games from former owner Eidos.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35043/Spal...-browser-based

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

don't think so. Maybe ps5/6 or Xbox 1440/2880, but not the next next-gen. Good broadband speeds for a user base that as big at current real console's just are not avaidable right now, and I don't think they will be with in 2-3 years

agreed, even basic broadband rates are still pricey + the fact that many services have bandwidth caps makes anything over a handful of megabytes impractical for real time

Just because almost any game can now be run through a browser at 30 fps doesn't mean jacksh|t.
    These think tank experts have such myopic vision its just sad.
    They pick out one little new piece of technology and think its going to change everything in one generation.

DCEmu Newbie

Most importantly I think, is that for something like that to be a reality there would have to be an install base of super powerful computers.
    The PC gaming market died for the very reason that computers cost to much and users did not have full access to the games that they paid for.
    I do not understand why these people continue to make absurd predictions that completely ignore reality.

Thread Information