Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #6) What System Will Win the War ?

Blog Entries

Home/News The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #6) What System Will Win the War ?

To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

Heres question 5

What System Will Win the Next Gen War ?

Heres a question with 2 answers one for handhelds and one for consoles.

Handheld War

The handheld war is a great worldwide battle with one console an all powerful beast that displays fantastic graphics and the ability to play movies, MP3s and view photos as well as games, im talking about the PSP of course, the second main console is one that has good graphics but innovation leads the way with a built in microphone and the touch pad. Then you have the minnows the GP2X and the XGP, the GP2X is an excellent homebrew system but neither will do well on the world stage commercially.

So PSP or DS, well even though the PSP has better graphics it does have its problems too, too many ports from PS2 and faulty UMD Drives, the DS doesnt have the killer graphics but it does give you the better gameplay and much longer battery life and if the right games come out to use the stylus more and im talking FPS and RTS games then i think the Nintendo DS Will win the Handheld War.

Console War

3 contenders here, the PS3 with its supposed all conquering power, the Xbox360 with less power but a massive lead over the other consoles and the Revolution, the one with the least power but the one with that weird controller and the ability to play most Nintendo Console releases ever.

The PS3 because of the success of the PS1 and PS2 has the brand name advantage and especially in Japan it seems to be the one they want.

The Xbox360 will always do better in the USA and Europe and with the stream of PC games on the Xbox 360 and its Xbox Live service and the power it should do well.

The Revolution is the dark horse, after the Gamecube took a kicking Nintendo needed to fight back and the gamble on using a less powerful but more innovative console will be an interesting one, the ability to play GB, GBC, Snes, N64, GBA and Gamecube Games on this Console is a massive selling point, if they use the DS as a controller and employ a free worldwide online gaming service like they do with the DS then who knows.

So who will win, i personally think that the PS3 will win the Console War although i would prefer the Nintendo Revolution to win.

Whats Systems do you think will win the Handheld and Console War ?

Well since the PSP has been outselling the DS (At last check this was true) I think it will be the psp by a longshot for the Handhelds.

As for Consoles, I am an Xbox fanboy buy I still think Sony will win, because they have a larger fanbase than Xbox and also it is something of a "Can still be cool if you own one" item. If you own an xbox you seem to be a geek, if you own a Playstation your cool. Also backwards compatibility, if you are already on playstation you will have many games that can be played on the ps3 already, why waste the effort of switching to a new console? If Microsoft wants to win they will have to get people such as PC gamers and people who don't usually game to buy the 360. As you may have noticed I haven't mentioned the Revolution. Well I think it may be clear that it will not win this next-gen war because too many people care about graphics and when Nintendo announced no HD support alot of people I know, mainly playstation owners, starting saying OMFG THEY IDIOTS PLAYSTATION WILL PWN YO ASS NINTENDO and other things like that. Also Nintendo seem to be marketing their consoles as a "Great Second Console" with the low price tags, they did this with the GameCube and it got them nowhere sadly. So in conclusion it will be PS3, Damn I hate sony, they don't care what their customers ask for, they pretty much say SCREW YOU!! to the rest of the world and give japan all the attention, they lie ALOT, they mislead the consumer with tech demos and yet somehow people still like sony, COME ON PEOPLE WAKE UP!!

Ds and PS3.

Although i'd like to see the Revolution win we all know its going to flop in all places other than Japan as the western market is fickle and don't care for anything but looks and graphics.

I will be getting the Revolution at launch though as it looks to be the most interesting.

Blog Entries

We as gamers know which are the better consoles but we arent the people writing articles in the national presses of each country. One of the reasons why the PS2 killed the Dreamcast in the UK ws because of the newspapers saying that the PS2 was the best thing since ssliced bread.

i have to say that i live in the U.S. but xbox 360 is cool and all its not the most poplular thing on the market. honestly the psp may be outselling the DS here. but in japan the DS lite is stoming the sells on everything. but the revolution is inovative nad clecer. and i want one just because of the controller, but i think that it all depends on social class. the PS3 is supposedly gonna be expensive as hell, while the revolution is supposed to be fairly cheap.so all the lower class people here in the U.S. plus the nintendo faithfuls and the people who are looking for something different will be buying a revolution.

Whats Systems do you think will win the Handheld and Console War ?
    History tends to repeat itself, any console released (handheld or not) with 'Playstation' in the title will grab the majority of the sales, it doesn't matter if it's the best choice or not, that's what the general public go for. So it's probably a safe bet to say the PSP and PS3 will get the majority of worldwide sales.

A while ago (just before the X-Box 360 launch) I spoke with an old gaming friend (who's a big X-Box fan by the way), he came out with an extremely profound statement which went a bit like this:
    "It doesn't matter what MicroSoft do, the majority of gamers are male, everyone I know would rather have a machine that associates itself with Lara Croft and not Bill Gates. Think about it, he's one of the richest men in the world, but where's the babes?. Back in '95, Windows was destined for success, but that Christmas most teens were checking out Lara's butt on the PSX while the geeks were rebooting out of the Blue Screen of Death. Now if they'd have called it the XXX-Box and Halo's main character had the hotpants things might be different."

A controversial statement to say the least, but there might be more than just a hint of truth in there.

DCEmu Newbie

it's a psp forum what the hell do they think?

I think many people who say they are waiting for the PS3 will change their minds when they see the price tag, and that the graphics aren't as good as Sony said. The Revolution will have a strong launch among Nintendo fans, but after that it won't do so well. The virtual console thing with the Revolution will only do good with strong anti-piracy people, little kids, and those who have never heard of NesterJ, ZNES, and Project 64. The 360 is what I believe will win the console war because of Xbox Live and the price compared to PS3. I expect 360 sales will jump when it becomes more available and when Gears of War is released. It comes to this: you could buy a 360 and a Revolution, or just a PS3.

In handhelds I believe the PSP will out do the rest, especially if they get some decent addons (like a keyboard or even a cellular broadband addon). Not to mention the fact of being able to download ps1 games at some point in the future.

Home consoles will be the PS3 which will only further the PSP itself...not only will they be mutually interactive but if they do open the linux on the hdd homebrew will reach a whole new level for both systems.

DCEmu Newbie

DS is winning handheld war in US and japan (unfortuantely everyone hates DS here in UK) and i believe it will continue to beat PSP

on the next gen front i think ps3 will win purely because of its brand name. i personally will not get one unless i win one, same way i got my ps2. revolution should win but wont, but im getting one anyway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information