Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #9) Is Homebrew Better Than Commercial ?

Blog Entries

Home/News The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #9) Is Homebrew Better Than Commercial ?

To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

Heres question 9

Is Homebrew Better Than Commercial ?

This is quite a tough question because emulators play yesterdays best games but if you compare systems like the PSP, DS, Dreamcast etc then you could answer that question.

Homebrew in some ways is much better than commercial, the biggest being that its free, emulators of older systems mean that newcomers and old gamers alike can relive the retro days. Homebrew also has a community that easily beats commercial as we as a massive scene work to bring new software and killer sites and dev libs etc to the homebrew arena.

Homebrew however cant compete some of todays killer releases so for me Commercial just about nudges ahead.

Whats your View is Homebrew Better Than Commercial ?

For me its homebrew.
    Emulators make todays commercial releases-tommorows homebrew ones, so really commercial games are no competition to homebrew.

commercial games win, because commercial games have endless capabilities.

homebrew games i feel repeat themselves with different names and different graphics.

well after spending 700 bucks on the $#@!ty psp games that are so freaking linear replay value is non-existant, i would definately say that the homebrew is what keeps me from selling my psp. the only game i bought worth playing over is crash tag team racing. well i'l say gta lcs too because it allows the eloader and isn't all that bad really. pretty lame but i'm a descriminating gamer. i'd rather play my gamecube or ps2. i think i'm going to get a ds after all this hype of the psp. at least it has SOME good games, and they are 10-20 bucks less. and the ds lite seems to have fixed certain issues. sorry for ever having doubted you nintendo.

Commercial games are better for graphics, but there's so much more homebrew, it's all free and you get all the games of the past on psp now, and for the reason Decius said, I think homebrew's better.

PSP Coder

I play homebrew emulators and games way more than commercial games but I think commercial games will always be better because they push the technology of the platform to the limits. They have a development team with professional artists, sound engineers and testers. Plus they work 40+ a week on the same project. I'm lucky to dedicate 2 hours per day programming!

For me though I like homebrew, being able to play the old school games I used to love is better than playing the latest and greatest.

Id probably say homebrew because i use homebrew so much more and homebrew has other apps that arnt just games. The only commercial game i have really been playing lately is Mega Man: Powered Up.

retro

For me this is a joint decision. Commercial games are normally better than homebrew games (due to the fact that there's a full design gaming working on them) but homebrew brings apps and other wonders to consoles which commercial companies can't bring.

The advantage of homebrew on the other hand is that it is free.

homebrew develop lack the necessary tools to make an outstanding program, but its greatest aspect of homebrew is that the community has an input in the development, such as bugs can be fixed as they are noticed, and suggestions to make a program or game better can be taken into consideration... so if homebrew had those necessary tools, it would completly own commercial, but due to the lack there of, i would have to say commercial is better...

Homebrew GAMES are not better than commercial GAMES but homebrew APPS and EMULATORS are more enjoyable and exciting than commercial games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information