Thread: Nintendo needs to "grow core market"

Blog Entries

Rev Nintendo needs to "grow core market"

Nintendo needs to concentrate on expanding its core user base as Sony and Microsoft muscle in on its casual audience with new technologies of their own, Marvelous Entertainment director, Yasuhiro Wada has stated.

"The Nintendo market is pretty humongous right now, but I think that's primarily because of all the light users; the casual users," he said, speaking to Gamasutra. "The core userbase for the Wii is really still small. One of the things that Nintendo is trying to do, like with the Motion Plus, is try to make it more advanced and more friendly to the gamer-gamer.

"But it's still not enough because Sony and Microsoft are starting to do the same sorts of technology. In those cases they are still weak, but I think it's really important to have more core titles such as Zelda and other titles from Nintendo to grow that core market area, so the whole market can grow as well."

While his company has developed plenty of games for Nintendo platforms, continued Wada - Marvelous created the Harvest Moon games and Little King's Story among others - it is only bound to those platforms because it doesn't have the technology to develop for the "HD-heavy platforms".

However, "at a certain point we will reach that place and we can advance to multiple platforms and different other venues," Wada predicted.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...elous-director

why do they go on about this crap, most the games are aimed at kids under 16 or lower, the external $#@! they bring out is utter pants, this sensor which is eventually going to be released, i mean seriously who is that aimed at? they just aim for kids and that's that, the end. I use my PC for real hardcore gaming.

They already have enough core fans (you know, the ones that have been following them since the NES).

They just need to do more with their core franchises.

exactly, that's correct, they aren't going to gain any more with how they go about things

Quote Originally Posted by djdynamite123 View Post
    why do they go on about this crap, most the games are aimed at kids under 16 or lower, the external $#@! they bring out is utter pants, this sensor which is eventually going to be released, i mean seriously who is that aimed at? they just aim for kids and that's that, the end. I use my PC for real hardcore gaming.
    whats the real hardcore on pc gaming?doom clones?strategies?or online rpgs?
    wii is much more into gaming for all people than pc ''games''

The likes of Battlefield 2, etc even Soldier of Fortune is still a good online game.

DCEmu Rookie

War-themed-FPS, RTS and MMORPG are the only 3 styles of games you can play on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by djdynamite123 View Post
    Actually Nintendo is trying to aim at everyone right now. Both old and young. I guess the Wii needs more bald space marine shooters if it ever wants to grow up.

Thread Information