Poll: Getting Windows 7 for free?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's getting Windows 7 for free?

Default Who's getting Windows 7 for free?

I am!

Windows 7 Professional will be available on MSDNAA through ELMS on August 15th, 2009

Blog Entries

Nope, I rushed into Vista when it had little to no driver support... Which I learnt not to rush into the latest operating system, though I've downloaded two versions of Windows 7.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Once it shows up on MSDN, I'll download it (assuming my MSDN subscription is still valid).

Whether I use it or not remains to be seen, but I somewhat doubt it'll get any immediate use.

EDIT: Supposably it should show up in my MSDN subscription today, so time shall tell.
    Last edited by BlueCrab; August 6th, 2009 at 15:43.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

Quote Originally Posted by VampDude View Post
    Nope, I rushed into Vista when it had little to no driver support... Which I learnt not to rush into the latest operating system, though I've downloaded two versions of Windows 7.
    Well your in luck. Windows 7 is based off of Vista so anything Vista supports, Windows 7 supports. Windows 7 also has a Windows XP compatibility mode that works way better than Vista. It would definitely be worth the upgrade

OMG Windows 7 for free? I want, just I haven't a MSDN subscription though.

If you goto high school or university, ask the system admin if you can get it from MSDNAA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by $n!pR View Post
    Well your in luck. Windows 7 is based off of Vista so anything Vista supports, Windows 7 supports. Windows 7 also has a Windows XP compatibility mode that works way better than Vista. It would definitely be worth the upgrade
    Windows 7 will be worth looking into, maybe to dual-up on my laptop and then lose Vista.

The XP compatibility on Vista is horrible, Vista killed my MP3 player because ZEN didn't release a compatible Vista driver. So that is one good reason to upgrade.
    Last edited by BlueCrab; August 7th, 2009 at 01:32. Reason: Ahem... no pseudo-warez-bragging please.

Blog Entries

Ah Windows 7.. The first Windows to be on par with XP in terms of raw speed.. in beta.. without bloatware.. I'll stick with XP thanks lol. Anyone remember how fast Vista was in beta without all the preinstalled crap?

Dream Coder

What preinstalled crap? As to driver compatability, Windows 7 will gladly accept XP or Vista drivers (although if it's the x64 version the drivers must have been for XP x64 or Vista x64). For program compatability, not only does it have a funky XP wrapper mode deal, but you can run most any program natively.

Similar to XP's compatability settings, you can set compatability parameters, but this time around its not a matter of guessing what might work. If a program crashes on first run, win7 will ask you if it did crash and if it can try to solve the problem, autoscan the crash data as well as the program binary and either look to an online database for a solution that has worked for someone else or reccomend solutions that it thinks are good. Every time you get settings right and tell it that its compatability settings were right it goes into said online database to improve the experience for everyone.

That being said, I've been using Win7 rc1 for the past two plusish months and have enjoyed it throughly.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

I feel like getting it for my PC, but I'd have to clear out a good amount of space before I could install it.

I've heard that when it comes to compatibility and speed, it kills Vista. So, it'll probably be my next OS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information