Thread: It just may work, but need a seasoned porter's opinion.

DCEmu Newbie

Default It just may work, but need a seasoned porter's opinion.

I think that the elder scrolls arena is can be done on the psp because you can download it for free off the elder scroll's website, and from abandionia so it is abondonware so dosen'ty that mean leaglly you can do it. Now onto the system requirements from the elder scrolls website:

Minimum system requirements:
    386/25 MHZ, DOS 5.0, 4MB RAM, 25MB HD Space, VGA graphics card, Mouse, Soundcard (Ensoniq, Aria, Roland, SoundBlaster, Ultrasound).

Now by the sounds of it the psp surpasses the Minimum system requirements because the 386 if I am correet has no instyructions like mmx, sse, sse2 and so on. The psp has 32mb of ram and has 24mb or 28mb to spare to it after it's turned on so that's plenty. 25mb of hd space, not only does the psp have that but also since it will be running from a memory stick in theory it should run BETTER because at the time of the games release in early 1992 all the had were slow spining hard drives with IDE 33 interface. VGA graphics card, now the psp dosen't have quite that but I would image the psp's cpu could handle the extra load since at the time a vga graphics card was ISA and had 256kb-1mb of vram on it. As for the soundcard you could just disable sound sice at 92 I would image that the sounds weren't anything too much to miss. So all in all I think it is possible to get a port of this game on the psp, and would be enjoyed since it is a great rpg and is quite fun to play. What do you guys think, suggestions, and is it possible?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

abondonware = warez, there is no such thing as abondonware. Also just because it free from, elder scroll's website, does not mean any other website can offer it for download.

as for a port, was the source released?

DCEmu Newbie

I am not sure but it was on a list of freeware on answers.com that someone posted up.

Maybe if you just asked the Elder Scrolls people nicely? :P

I'd say if the source was out there (or somebody built an open-source engine that ran the graphics/sound/whatnot) then it would be totally possible. Even with sound, VGA graphics=640x480x8 (widthxhightxBPP) so the port would have to be resized to fit the PSP screen. It would be alot of work, and I mean ALOT of work, but I'd love to see it happen personally. You should do some checking and see if the source code is out there, if it's not just let it be. It would take years to reverse engineer the engine.

I just really really want a Dos Emulator for the PSP.. then we could have Discworld, Civ II and Arena

Quote Originally Posted by samidgley
    I just really really want a Dos Emulator for the PSP.. then we could have Discworld, Civ II and Arena
    There is a Dos emulator PSP Dosbox and a windows one Bochs PSP ,and a Mac one Basilisk II . I haven't tried the Windows one, but have heard that it is unbearbly slow. I don't know about the Dos one either. I am using the Mac one and it runs Mac OS 8.1 really well.

DCEmu Newbie

Does psp dosbox run on 2.0?

Thread Information