Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCDoom v1.1.4

DCEmu Coder

Dreamcast DCDoom v1.1.4

Latest version... fixed a problem where it would wait on input that never came when you selected a patch wad. Patch wads should now work fine. I went ahead and included my favorite Doom 1 patch wad: Doominator. Note: you need DOOM patch wads, not BOOM patch wads. BOOM pwads may work to some extent, but not fully as this version of Doom is based on DOOM, not BOOM/PrBOOM. You also need the full version of Doom or Ult Doom for Doom 1 patch wads, and the full version of Doom 2 or Final Doom for Doom 2 patch wads (not included).

DCEmu Rookie

Can i Have Multiple Game WADs on there? (for instance i have doom \ doom II), can they go on one Disc?

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by dcdood View Post
    Can i Have Multiple Game WADs on there? (for instance i have doom \ doom II), can they go on one Disc?
    Yes. This version of Doom will take all the iwads in the same directory (/iwad). As mentioned in the readme, you need to be careful about the file name - the shareware wad should be doom1.wad, the registered version doom.wad, the Ult Doom should be doomu.wad, Doom 2 should be doom2.wad, TNT should be tnt.wad, and Plutonia should be plutonia.wad. That's how Doom recognizes which version of Doom it is - by the file name.

In the file menu, you have one setting for the iwad (defaults to the shareware wad - select it to bring up the file requester to select a different iwad). You have four settings for patch wads, and four for deh files. Patch wads and dehs can have any name at all. You can use any path for any file, but the file requester defaults to /cd/iwad for iwads, /cd/pwad for pwads, and /cd/deh for deh files, so it is suggested that you put the various files in the default directories. I normally make two subdirectories in the pwad directory: /cd/pwad/D1 and /cd/pwad/D2 for patches aimed at Doom 1 and Doom 2 respectively. That makes it easier to remember which iwad you should be using with each pwad.

v1.1.4 includes the /cd/pwad/D1/Doominator directory with the patch wad and it's associated text file, so that should give you an idea of how I expect people would organize their patch wads.

This is becoming a very impressive piece of work! I was concerned about the in-ability to load pWADs before, and I was going to write to you about it, but then you resolved the issue before I had the chance.

Nearly everything I threw at it ran without any issues! This port is about perfect, with midi musick to boot!

The only minor complaint I have at this time is how the game pauses for a moment when it goes to load off the CD, though this will be resolved once the SD loader has been released!

Keep it up man, and thankx again for giving us a slightly more polished port of DOOM for the Dreamcast!

DCEmu Coder

I noticed the pwad issue fairly early, but left it until I had the sound fixed as that was more irritating. Then I forgot about it a for a revision or two.

DCEmu Newbie

Hello JLF65,
    Thank you for your great work.
    Could it be possible add an option to customize the controls?

That would be nice 'cause in nxdoom you can't.

DCEmu Coder

Yeah, I just have to think of a way to add that to the GUI. It's not hard, just a lot of work.

Not a bad idea really, though I don't think the controls are really that bad as they are, none the less, some people prefer their own particular set up, I.E. using the analog as the mouse as opposed to holding a button to run.

BTW, is there a limit as to how many pWADs can be on the disc? I burned off a disc and some wads just don't show up in the list.

If this is covered in the docs and I over looked it, then I apologize in advance.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
    Not a bad idea really, though I don't think the controls are really that bad as they are, none the less, some people prefer their own particular set up, I.E. using the analog as the mouse as opposed to holding a button to run.
    The analog stick IS the mouse, unless you disable that in the controller menu of the GUI.

BTW, is there a limit as to how many pWADs can be on the disc? I burned off a disc and some wads just don't show up in the list.
    There's not a lot of memory in the DC to play with, so I limit directories to 100 files. If you have more, make subdirectories. That's not in the readme because I never thought anyone would have a hundred pwads or dehs.

I'd first split them by the iwad they require (Doom 1 or Doom 2), then split them up by theme (scifi, medieval, etc). You could also split them by size (single level verses multi-level, for example). The limits to the file requester are paths no longer than 255 characters, and no more than 100 directories and files in a single directory. Note that the GUI can't show really long path/file names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information