Thread: No new SNES updates huh???

Default No new SNES updates huh???

I look after over a year of waiting for a new SNES update (I have the latest version). I see no new updates besides the SMCM version.

*sighs*

I really thought that of all the emulators that the PSP would use, the SNES one would be the most popular (considering how some of the best games are on it) and it would be the one most compatible, but that is not the case. The games work pretty well, but the problem is any transparent lighting effects cause the game to slow down terribly. I really hope that the team working on the emulator gets those effects properly working, but it seems as though it will never happen. Is making a SNES emulator really THAT hard????

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate warrior View Post
    Is making a SNES emulator really THAT hard????
    Well, why don't you try to make one if you think it's so easy?

Then you can hear from people who haven't contributed a thing towards the project about it's issues and how you NEED to fix them.

I would love perfect SNES emulation on the PSP, but I'm already content with what there is (and maybe somewhere down the road, it will be perfected). You can't just expect people to devote their time to making an emulator run fullspeed (unless, of course, you hire them). :P

I did not mean "Is making an SNES emulator THAT hard?" in a sarcastic sort of sense, I am being serious is it really very hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate warrior View Post
    I did not mean "Is making an SNES emulator THAT hard?" in a sarcastic sort of sense, I am being serious is it really very hard?
    Ah, sorry about that. It's just that you see a lot of people demanding new releases. :P

Afaik, the Super Nintendo relied on quantity (as in a lot of different chips) for quality. On top of that, there were games that used chips for special effects or 3D (like Super FX/2).

The more you have to emulate, the more difficult it becomes. So, I guess my answer would be yeah.

Still, the PSP could definitely see a better SNES emulator eventually.

DCEmu Newbie

I really am surprised at the constant requests for an update to a SNES emulator. With the exception of a small handful of games, the latest TYL build with Dantheman's SNESADVANCE.dat file, ROMs with checksums matching the entries in the .dat file, and speedhacks enable, you can run virtually any game with vsync on, auto frameskip enable and 44 khz sound. I may just videotape myself playing Chrono Trigger full speed to prove that it can be done.

DCEmu Newbie

I keep hearing about these speedhacks. Does this Dantheman fellow have a site or something where I can get the most up to date version?

Although my SNES emultor is running great on my psp, except for a few games like Star Fox 1 and 2, Strike Gunner STG, and Super Mario World 2

I really didn't make most of the speedhacks in the snesadvance.dat file. I merely made a few PSP-specific hacks since the database was originally intended for an emulator that couldn't run games like Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc. However, these changes have been merged into the "official" Superdat update, which you can find at http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366 so I would use that instead.

I'm not entirely positive if it has the correct hacks for Final Fantasy 3 and Chrono Trigger, but I haven't looked into it.

DCEmu Newbie

Newest speedhacks:

http://sites.google.com/site/mog123x/v0.26bymog123.zip

Gathered, merged and compiled by this guy:

http://mog123x.blogspot.com/

Thread Information