Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hints and Tips for getting a game to run

Default Hints and Tips for getting a game to run

This may be distributed with the M64 Binary or Readme file.

This may also be placed on other forums with the intention of crediting the original author (Me AKA Wally)

Hints and Tips for getting roms to run.

1. Set the Microcode properly, check the compatibility guide in the M64 archive.

2. Just because you get 'illegal Memory writes and Reads doesnt mean you cant ge tthe game working

If you get an Illegal Memory write keep pressing X until the rom kicks in (Note: Some roms just dont work properly after this)

If you get Illegal Memory read press x 50 times and if no illegal memory write pops up then well reboot ur PSP and try another Dump

IF both Illegal Memory read and it is followed by illegal memory write well keep pressinG X until the game works

3. If game stays on the black screen (vBlank) you have two choices: (10 seconds is the minimum you should wait before you do the following)
    i) press O or start rapidly for 10 seconds until you see something (Dont hurt anyone in the process). Gex is fixed by doing this

ii) Press select to get back to the menu and click run emulation, if something like an Illegal Memory read pops up click X until it goes. (Tiggers hunny Hunt) (Yes i know how much you have wanted this game!)

Game should work fine after any of these solutions are done. Failiure only means reporting it back to us .

Wally

Monkey 64 Tester

P.S Please check out my compatiblity List

http://www.dosgames.com/~wally4000/M...ility_info.htm

Thanks for the help, but you didn't mention what to do if the rom just freezes the PSP...I've tried every microcode for multiple Super Smash Bros. roms and I can't get a single one to work on 2.0.

Ok So people like MonoLoco knows

I used the [!] builds

If the roms just freeze the PSP well then there is not much i can do about it as the emulator might not handle them itself or its particular types of roms.

Please state the rom dump you are using and try
    one of the [!] builds

also what firmware are you on?

Thanks,

Wally

Well, I actually used the (U) (!) rom, which should be the most compatible, really...and I tried the (E) (!) rom with the same results.

I'm using 2.0...but I'm pretty much unwilling to downgrade, haha.

DCEmu Newbie

This is interesting, I posted on another thread about my difficulty with getting Quest64 to run.

There seems to be differences in rom compatibility between firmwares. I'm also on 2.0 using the Tiff exploit (Monoloco, are you using Tiff or GTA?). Of the roms I've tested, I haven't so far found any listed as compatible that don't work but
    Quest(U)[!].z64 doesn't work with my setup, that also goes for the French German and English versions as well. The roms are working ones (tested on Daedalus) and I have been able to run other games like Bust a move and Bomberman.

I'll try Super smash Bros and see If that has the same problem

Yeah, same with me. I'm using the Tiff exploit (I have GTA but with UMD Autoload I keep it away from my PSP 99% of the time) and SSB freezes my PSP regardless of what version I use. I have gotten the rom to work with Daedalus though, so I know the rom works okay.

The PSP probably runs out of ram in the higher firmwares (as your running and extra program in order to run M64) and as a result the PSP freezes. Just wait till PSmonkey adds streaming support for larger roms.

PSP Coder

2.0 issue via tiff exploit might not be giving the emu enough ram. The games you guys are having problems with are 16MB roms. Try via GTA exploit and see if it works. If it does, i'm gonna as fanjita about this.

DCEmu Newbie

I don't have GTA unfortunately however, I've just tested some roms listed as working on the compatibility thread whilst running Monkey64 through the tiff exploit and without fail, all roms that are 16mb or over cause the PSP to freeze and shutdown. I haven't found any under that size that cause the same problem. All the roms worked on Daedalus.

Definately Looks like an available memory issue but how does Daedalus get around it?

let me know if you want me to test anything out.

I have GTA, I'll check if that helps.

EDIT: Ok, it works with the GTA exploit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information