Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT - Linux-based handheld console launches in UK

DCEmu Rookie

I just did a brief research and found the so called Gamepark XPG ... it seems that this thing pretty much resembles the PSP considering the hardware ... but I did not yet find out what actually runs on this thing or let's say what its potentials are ...

if any1 at DC Emu could find out about that this would be great.

If I'd have known of the existence of such a massively hombrew orientated pice of hardware, I think I'd have not bought the PSP ... just for the fact that $ony does NOT support the whole idea of homebrew! I hate them 4 that! I hope u'll choke on the losses u get from the fact that some ppl. d/l and play for free the ****in commercial games u and the other companies sale! Just screw u! Have a look at Gamepark! they even encourage ppl. to code for the device and provide sourcecodes and tools! THIS is what a good company does! NOT inventing a new type of drive and restricting the buit-in video player's possibilities in order to force ppl. to buy my ****in UMD Videos ... u suck! it is disgusting!
    **** U $ONY!

GP2X Coder/Moderator

The XGP and GP2X are two different consoles by different companies. The XGP is mainly geared towards 3D commercial games. It is rumoured that it is possible to run homebrew on it. Check: http://gamepark.com/

The GP2X which is the console in the picture currently has two commercial games lined up for the summer and has an excellent homebrew developer base at the moment. Check out this review for more details: http://craig.gp2x.de/review/GP2XReview.html

As for the whole GP2X vs PSP debate in terms of homebrew, both have disadvantages and advantages. For example the GP2X has Mame 0.34 and NeoGeo MVS/AES running at full speed with sound (with some overclocking) but lacks in the Snes department.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

you know we have a Gp2x news forum
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=85

its been there for a good while, over 800+ news items

also a few years back we (dcemu) had a dreamcast/gp32 coding contest.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock
    I just did a brief research and found the so called Gamepark XPG ... it seems that this thing pretty much resembles the PSP considering the hardware ... but I did not yet find out what actually runs on this thing or let's say what its potentials are ...

if any1 at DC Emu could find out about that this would be great.
    Ok first of Gamepark is different than Gampark Holdings. Gamepark released the GP32 and the company then split into two companies basically. Gamepark wants to have a commercial game system and Gamepark Holdings started the GP2X to keep it as an open source emulating machine. The XGP that eventually is going to be released is gonna try to be a commercial game machine. It still might run homebrew but I dont' know if that's for certain. For better information than what I can give you check out www.gp32x.com or check out Wragg's GP2X site for more info. Now people asking if it has better emulators, well it depends on personal preference. Also the psp has been out a while longer so some emulators are more polished than others on the GP2X. As for nes emulation and gameboy it's about the same. SNES at the moment is a bit better on the PSP, but is being worked on. Pc-engine emulation is also better at the moment on psp as well, but a guy named Vobbo is porting his windows Pc-Engine emulator at blazing fast speeds. One reason I bought the GP2X is for MAME and the Neo-Geo MVS based emulator GNGEO2x. It is by far the coolest thing on a handheld. I know MAME is coming together on the PSP but it's still far from being what it is on the GP2X. I believe in time though the PSP one might catch up but it will be a while. This mame on GP2X can run most of the nice oldschool late 70's and 80's games, and emulat all the Capcom CPS1 games like Street Fighter II and Final Fight. Also that mame even runs a lot of the NeoGeo games. Even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles runs on the GP2X MAME. It's very awesome. Genesis/Mega Drive emulation is crazy awesome with Reesy's DrMDX. It's a full speed 60fps emulator. I love DGEN and it has a bit more options, but this is a FAST emulator. Also since you can overclock your GP2X you can guarantee every game will run full speed. Sega Master System/Game Gear emulation just got awesome as well. It is far better than the SMS Plus emulator for PSP. Especially in the speed and sound department. It's so fast I need to underclock my processor. Anyways I doubt anyone is even reading my ramblings. Just check out Wragg's GP2X site and www.gp32x.com. It will have all the info you need. Especially what there is to know about the XGP.

looks like Youstar beat me too it. haha guess i took to long to type.

Seriously? Is this truly BETTER than the PSP in regards to homebrew?

The PSP has such advanced Emulators as SNES9XTYL, NeoCDZ, Nester J, DGEN, Some even with WIRELESS 2-player adhoc support.

I briefly looked into the GP2X a while back and was not impressed. Maybe things have advanced as far as hombrew but I think the PSP is the BEST portable device for homebrew.

The major problem is that 1.50 firmware is the best for homebrew. So I guess its destined to have a limited following due to no way to downgrade past 2.00

i would have to agree its a good idea but it was way too late if it came out as soon as psp then it would have stood a better chance but o well im perfectly happy with my psp

GP2X Coder/Moderator

How is it too late? Its the successor to the GP32 which was the ultimate homebrew portable console years before the PSP was even an idea. It had SMS, NES GBC, SNES, SMD, PCE, Lynx, Atari ST, Spectrum, Mame 0.34, ScummVM, it plaed movies, oggs, mp3s, huge amounts of homebrew, it was home to SmashGP before the PSP.

The PSP is just more mainstream.

I guess you would all have to agree to the fact that GP2x users are not locked out and no hacking of firmwares is required.

Sony are scumbags in this way :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information