Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Millenium Falcon Dreamcast

Default Re: Millenium Falcon Dreamcast

Yeah, i'll post a video once im done which will be quite a while as im stuck for time between a-levels and actually playing games.

This is harder than i first thought, i thought it would be a simple put in case add few bits and do a decent paint job but it's get increasingly more irritating to fit the DC mobo into it, the mf just isnt wide enough. The DC mobo only just fits but then because i need to put it below in an extended bottom the 'legs' of the mf are in the way so i've had to hack them off and move them further apart which doesnt look great now but the paint will cover the fact that the plastic doesn't match.

I'll post a pic soon of the DC mobo and stuff fitting snuggly into the mf body.

EDIT:

Right i didnt want to post again so i'll just add to this one.
    Ive made enough room for the DC mobo to fit and the mf is cut perfectly now i need to make the housing that will sit underneath the mf with the mobo in. heres a really basic mspaint pic of where everything is gonna sit.

Hopefully that explains where everything will sit

Default An Update Finally!

ive finally got round to doing some work on this project, i havent been on this forum in a couple of weeks either, nice to see a new look

Ive got some pics of the inside of the millenium falcon casing with the mobo sitting snugly in the newly built housing. If your on 56k, as i am, it will take about five minutes for this to load.

^^This pic shows the mobo sitting in the bottom half of the mf toy with the clear housing around it.

^^ this shows the GD-Rom assembly and although you cant see it its sitting on a new plastic mobo shield.

^^This is the same, but with a BoR disc on the GD-Rom, which was kindly sent to me from another forum member but i havent been able to say thanks since the PM message was deleted in the transition to the new forum. So thanks to you

^^This is the top of the mf toy fitted on, and you can see the disc through the gap. I'll cut out a ring in the top and add a spring set-up to make it flip top, and i'll fill in that gap and add the mf gun and radar.

Hope someone finds those remotely interesting

Theres still a couple of things i need to do such as solder to the mobo AV out a couple of wires that can link up to a standard AV out on the side of the mf, and maybe a built in VGA.

Paint the top, the toy as you can see looks very plasticy so i'll be spraying it the proper grey yellow-ish colour and adding more detail. Such as colour wash in the cracks.

Also does anyone know what the third wire on the fan does? it would really help as i dont want to have to break it to find out and no sites have a pinout for the controller board it connects to or the fan. I know its probably just a return of the +ve voltage to tell the DC the fan is connected as a safety precaution. Does anyone know for sure?

i'll post another update soon with pics of the flip top lid and lighting hopefully if maplins ever get some blue LEDs in stock.

thanks DS69, obviously no-one else thinks so, why do i bother?

It looks pretty messy at the moment, but once its all fitted and finished it'll look much better.

Also, i forgot for the last post; need to do something with heat sinks, because with the new mobo shield being plastic (no heatsinks) and the lowered section of the mobo housing theres gonna be next to no cooling as air will flow straight over, need to think of something. Would really help if i could find out what the 3rd pin does on the fan.

Blog Entries

star wars fans will love to see their console inside a millenium falcon

yeah, hopefully as i want to sell it once im done, i enjoy making it but dont really have the room to keep it as theres no space under/ontop/around my tv for anymore consoles.
    I'll probably put it on eBay with a starting bid of £49.99 that should cover the materials, and DC. Someone must be interested especially if i do a good paint job on it.

hey that is a piece of work my friend, never be dis heartened I've been a cartoonist for many years, tastes change etc, but as long as you stay true to your original idea you will do just fine. I also sculpt so if you were looking for any part, comm dishes, laser turrets etc, I would be happy to mould you some.

DCEmu Pro

hey ptr, didnt see this thread had progressed, nice job, cant wait to see it finished. Post on a few forums that you're selling it on ebayer first to drum up a little interest eh?

scrabbus, i actually need a comm. dish as the one from the toy is missing, if you could make it for me that would be ace. What sort of measurements would you need? radius of base, height?
    what sort of cartoons? i wish i could draw...

Thanks M2K, it hasnt moved on much but at least its a start, it took me ages to get the main board to fit inside that tiny toy.

EDIT: I hate maplins. went there today for a few small parts, LED's, solder, serial ribbon etc. after waiting at the component desk for 15 minutes with staff saying i'll be with you in a moment and then disappearing for ages, someone finally serves me i tell him the code he says its in stock then disappears for ages comes back and said there arent any. It's probably not the staff's fault but maplins stores never have stock.

DCEmu Pro

i know i said drum up support ptr, but the-force.net? You are gonna make a mint on this thing!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information