Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gates plays down Wii

Blog Entries

Rev Gates plays down Wii

Microsoft boss Bill Gates believes that the motion-sensitive controllers for PS3 and Wii don't make for 'mainstream' gaming.

Speaking in response to Sony's recent announcement that the PS3 pad will join the Wii remote in being motion-sensitive, Gates said that "there's room for innovation here, but moving that controller around isn't something that's mainstream for most games".

This conflicts with what Nintendo believes, as the company sees the unique capabilities of Wii as a way of encouraging non-gamers to get involved with console gaming. However, Gates mentioned that Microsoft released a motion-sensitive PC controller in 2000 but it wasn't that popular as the movements required to use it were not particularly natural.

"It's tough because sometimes you move the controller and you don't mean to fly into the ground, you just want to put the controller down," said Gates. "People aren't that good at totally standing still: even pilots actually sit in a chair when they do their flying, so there's a lot to be learned about these controllers."

This somewhat matches how we felt when getting hands-on with the Wii-mote, as there was certainly a learning curve involved for some games, such as Ubisoft's shooter Red Steel. Whether this will be enough to put off gamers and have them running back to the security of the 360 pad remains to be seen.

Via Gamesradar

Yeah, I think gates needs to clarify his statement as being directly aimed at PS3's presentation, as its controller, is most comparable to the Sidewinder, and Wii is a whole new way to play... but like gates cares... They need new dashboard interfaces, to look sleek. I liked PS3's apparent PSP like interface. Makes it look more suited to home entertainment centers. Classier

Bill Gates Nintendo isnt in your war with Sony remember that. Nintendo Representative Shigeru Miyamoto doesnt want to be within your childish affairs with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo took a whole new way to play. you didnt. And hopefully your Microsoft Vista System program doesnt let me down too.

bill gates is such a dumbass, i wonder who is above him if hes like this

Quote Originally Posted by emuking
    bill gates is such a dumbass, i wonder who is above him if hes like this
    to answere your question God is above bill gates.. and no. God does not like him one bit.

I think Gates is mad, because he couldn't come up with an idea like that.

The Wii will kick ass, No matter what Bill Gates thinks

DCEmu Rookie

I am a Malaysian and i must say SONY is kicking Microsofts ass here. I have seen thousands of PS2s but i have yet to see one Xbox.

I dont give a $hit what Bill Gates thinks about the Wii. That just him being himself, just like him knocking Apple because they run a different operating system then Windows.

That guy needs to learn to keep čis nose where it belongs. I think that the Wii will kick A$$ on Microsoft. It may be the lowest qualtiy console of the next gen 3, but it will probably have the better games. Take Super Smash Bros Brawl for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith
    I think Gates is mad, because he couldn't come up with an idea like that.

The post did say he said that the pc had a controller like that come out in 2000 that didn't sell well

Quote Originally Posted by 1timeuser
    to answere your question God is above bill gates.. and no. God does not like him one bit.

Well I'm above god so who is above me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information