Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Details on Firmware 2.71

Blog Entries

psp More Details on Firmware 2.71

Via CVG

Sony has just unleashed a brand new firmware update for the PSP version 2.71 which enables - amongst its many other wonders - LocationFree TV.

The new version adds a new icon to the PSP interface, Portable TV or P-TV, which adds portable TV watching functionality to your favourite sleek Sony handheld. Japanese users of the service will be able to download video content from So-net, with some free and some pay-to-download and view, content.

More significantly over here in the UK, version 2.71 will enable Sony's brand new LocationFree TV service which launches today in Sony stores across fair old Great Britainland. UK and European users can get the full deal by visiting Sony's freshly launched LocationFree TV site.

Demoed to CVG on Wednesday, LocationFree TV looks like it could be one of the PSP's killer features as the handheld expands over the next six months, allowing you to watch your home TV on a PSP or laptop from anywhere in the world.

Just in time for the World Cup too, and we'll be bringing you a full hands-on report soonest, but our advice is get downloading the firmware now - you need never miss a World Cup goal, an episode of Lost or the latest goings on in EastEnders ever again!

I prefer House which is on tonight myself

House "Live" on my PSP. The Possibilites are endless

I don't understand this location free thing. is it streaming across the web? Why would you do that and not just have an mp4 on your memory stick.

your limited to your pc's memory not the memory stick so more options i guess i dont really know lol..

i meant hard drive space

Default AHH...but will the new modchip WORK with 2.71???

is it just me or does this seem a bit " fishy" taking into considration the mod chip was JUST released.... HELL NO VETTA WONT GO!!

DCEmu Rookie

As far I know S0NYs'® LocationFree™ is nearly a €400.00(EUR), Device that you would have to hook up between your TV, and a Broad-Band Connection, I'm not even sure your even requierd to have a PC. Outside of any configuration setups.

The tricky thing might be seting up a DNS lookup so you can quickly locate your currently assigned IP Address with out which your not going to stream anything. Beit with LocationFree™ or with the PiMP Streamer...

So do I have to have a location free player to use this or not?

YES YOU DO and its a major ripp off....im waiting for a tv tuner card i think that the one for the game gear was awsome EVEN IF IT DID ONLY GET LOCAL channels....for the cost you may as well have a ps2 or a portable dvd player put in your car its only 100 dollers labor and materials you can get a ps2 put in your car! for 300 bucks WTF sony ARE YOU JOKING ....first ANCIENT FLASH now a unbeleavably expensive location free device OMG whats next .....feeding your sony psp with your own blood to listen to the radio !!! roflmao @ sony right now ....WTF

DCEmu Newbie

For god's sake, Sony is just making useless firmware upgrades. Since the 2.0 that i don't see anything interesting coming out from it (2.0 brought the wallpaper feature and an internet browser).

Location Free? What the hell, does sony even though that not everyone has wireless?! How about making new features the doesnt require to be online constantly to use them?

Sony brought us a marvelous handheld, no doubt about that. They are just ruining it with all those Anti-Homebrew-Useless-Features-Firmware-Upgrades..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information