Thread: Russia Recalls Modern Warfare 2

Blog Entries

General games Russia Recalls Modern Warfare 2

You may recall much ado over some questionable footage in the latest Call of Duty game. Well, that footage has led to a recall of Modern Warfare 2 in Russia. Seems the Russian government was none too happy about the portrayal of Russia in the game and decided to yank it from stores. Infinity Ward has responded with a patch that removes the "No Russian" mission (the content in question) from the storyline. Before you overly criticize the Russian government, there may be some truth to the claim that the game's story line overly demonizes Russians as just terrorists as the Russian site GotPS3.ru alleges. Is cultural sensitivity becoming an overly played card in the gaming world? Not too long ago, Wolfenstein was recalled in Germany for containing Nazi symbols

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/11/...dern-Warfare-2

Yeah it's kind of understandable they do that because Russia has been gently polishing up it's iron fist the last few years to show it's still a world superpower.

Well, the game presents the Russian government as an unstable power even though the game takes place years in the future. It is understandable, specially since that scene portrays Russians killing Russians. There are other things that I can mention, but will not so as not to spoil the game for anyone else.

As for the Nazi symbols in Wolfenstein causing the game to be pulled from Germany? Remember that Nazism is illegal in Germany and any reference to Nazism and the Nazi party are only allowed when talking about historical events in the form of books and documentaries, not in any other form. This being the case, Wolfenstein is a work of fiction and considered a form of entertainment, along with any other games (Call of Duty World War II games) hence the Nazi reference pulling from the game.

Although I could be wrong about the extent of that specific German law as I'm not a lawyer.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fpcreator2000 View Post
    Well, the game presents the Russian government as an unstable power even though the game takes place years in the future. It is understandable, specially since that scene portrays Russians killing Russians. There are other things that I can mention, but will not so as not to spoil the game for anyone else.

As for the Nazi symbols in Wolfenstein causing the game to be pulled from Germany? Remember that Nazism is illegal in Germany and any reference to Nazism and the Nazi party are only allowed when talking about historical events in the form of books and documentaries, not in any other form. This being the case, Wolfenstein is a work of fiction and considered a form of entertainment, along with any other games (Call of Duty World War II games) hence the Nazi reference pulling from the game.

Although I could be wrong about the extent of that specific German law as I'm not a lawyer.
    yes you're right about the law here in germany. basically it gets down to this: if it's not for cultural purposes (like books and documentaries... games don't count as cultural entertainment here) all nazi related signs are forbidden.

Wolfenstein had all nazi symbols blurred, but they missed one little texture on a wall, hardly noticable, which is why this game is forbidden.

Thread Information