Thread: SDL 1.2.9 for devkitpro r19

Default SDL 1.2.9 for devkitpro r19

ok updated my sourcecode on site
    http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/ndsSDL.shtml

added doublebuffering support and fixed some errors that prevent it working with r19 using the new arm-eabi-gcc.

unfortunetly now doublebuffering is on all the time and it uses 1mb of system memory.

in video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c NDS_SetVideoMode function this enabled the doublebuffering
    Code:
    this->hidden->secondbufferallocd=1;
    backBuffer=(u16*)malloc(1024*512*2);
    current->pixels = backBuffer;
    change to
    Code:
    this->hidden->secondbufferallocd=0;
    //backBuffer=(u16*)malloc(1024*512*2);
    current->pixels = frontBuffer;
    to disable doublebuffering and recompile the lib.

if someone has a fix to this let me know. I thought that the NDS_AllocHWSurface(...) would be called and i used to have the malloc defined in there but for a couple of SDL ports they were never calling that function so i moved it into the NDS_SetVideoMode function.

Also a lot of work need to be done to allocated VRAM better, right now 8bit video uses a mode6 1024X512 background
    and 16bit video uses mode5 515X512 background. So if you using a smaller screen it shouldnt need to allocate so much VRAM and the doublebuffering memory could be moved into VRAM instead of main ram.

Thanks,
    Troy(GPF)

Great news!! are you planning to release a precompiled zip? I´m having some troubles when compiling on r19 devkit.

thanks a lot.

yeah eventually, ill do that.

Finally got some sound to work with SDL lib today, its occasionally sound like music even lol. Its going to need to move to use a custom arm7 binary for streaming the sound cause right now without a way from the arm9 side to know if the currently playing buffer is done or its current playing position which has to be done from the arm7 with timers and/or fifos/ipc.

Troy(GPF)

Amazing!! great work!

DCEmu Newbie

Default Guidance on Building?

Hi,

I have great interest in using SDL on the DS. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to build the project (and I don't see any binaries).

There is a configure script, but that fails for multiple reasons. First, there is no README file, which it requires. Then, it cannot find gcc (since I am using devkitpro, which uses arm-eabi-gcc.exe). To solve this, I set the CC env variable to the devkitARM eabi compiler, but the script fails with "C compiler cannot create executables".

What am I missing?

I am using the latest devkitPRO (r19) with cygwin on windows.

You don't need to use configure, I don't think it's setup for DS. You should be able to just run make or make -f makefile.ds.

DCEmu Newbie

Ok, I used the Makefile.ds, but it complained about missing kosstdio.h, so I downloaded the kos library, modified the makefile to see it, and tried again.

There are a lot of warnings, the most serious looked like:

Code:
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c: In function 'NDS_CreateDevice':
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c:138: warning: implicit declaration of function 'memset'
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c:138: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of
    built-in function 'memset'
    Looking in /c/devkitPro/devkitARM/arm-eabi/include, it seems as though memset is in string.h, not stdlib.h. I added an include for string.h.

The the build failed with:

Code:
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c: In function 'NDS_FlipHWSurface':
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c:414: error: 'DISP_Y' undeclared (first use in this
    function)
    Grepping devkitpro finds DISP_Y defined in "nds/registers_alt.h". Modify SDL_ndsvideo.c to include it, and the build finally works, but with lots of warnings. Most warnings are about changing the width or signedness of method parameters.

Unfortunately, I have to go to work so I don't have time to try the lib to see if it is works.

It is interesting that I had to modify the makefile to include kosstdio.h, but I did not have to actaully link in the library. Perhaps a missing IFDEF?

Quote Originally Posted by tk1
    Ok, I used the Makefile.ds, but it complained about missing kosstdio.h, so I downloaded the kos library, modified the makefile to see it, and tried again.

There are a lot of warnings, the most serious looked like:

Code:
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c: In function 'NDS_CreateDevice':
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c:138: warning: implicit declaration of function 'memset'
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c:138: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of
    built-in function 'memset'
    Looking in /c/devkitPro/devkitARM/arm-eabi/include, it seems as though memset is in string.h, not stdlib.h. I added an include for string.h.

The the build failed with:

Code:
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c: In function 'NDS_FlipHWSurface':
    src/video/nds/SDL_ndsvideo.c:414: error: 'DISP_Y' undeclared (first use in this
    function)
    Grepping devkitpro finds DISP_Y defined in "nds/registers_alt.h". Modify SDL_ndsvideo.c to include it, and the build finally works, but with lots of warnings. Most warnings are about changing the width or signedness of method parameters.

Unfortunately, I have to go to work so I don't have time to try the lib to see if it is works.

It is interesting that I had to modify the makefile to include kosstdio.h, but I did not have to actaully link in the library. Perhaps a missing IFDEF?
    the file loading code is in C:\dev\devkitPro\msys\home\GPF\prj\SDL-1.2.9\src\file\SDL_rwops.c
    and its hardcoded to use my romfs port lib or fatlib based on a #define FAT being existing or not

the memset message is just a warning so i never bothered with it.

and the DISP_Y changed in devkitpro/libnds 19b so either include the altregister heacer or change the name.

Im currently working with streaming sound with a custom arm7 code, but still needs a lot of work.

Troy(GPF)

DCEmu Newbie

Appologies on reviving this topic, But I cannot get this SDL port to compile. I'm using DevkitARM r20 and on compiling (under the XP command prompt) I get:

make: arm-elf-gcc: Command not found
    make: *** [src/audio/nds/SDL_ndsaudio.o] Error 127

Does it work with r20? I also tried DevkitARM r19a and got the same error.

Any help is much appreciated

need devkitarm/bin added to your path, also you need to run make -f Makefile.ds which uses arm-eabi-gcc . Probably need to make some code changes to get it to work with r20.

I have a newer version that works with r20 but requires a custom arm7 code to be used for sound streaming, that I am still working on.

Troy(GPF)

Thread Information