Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project GagaWing (HOR help needed)

Default Project GagaWing (HOR help needed)

I've been thinking of making a new version of a game I never completed in Multimedia Fusion this time using HOR (the scrolling shoot 'em up BOR Mod: http://openbor.net/hor/), so I could port it to the Dreamcast. Here's some shots of the original MMF version I was working on:

In-game shot of first version, featuring first boss.

Early sprite (with wings nicked from another sprite)

Old title screen, Back then it had a different name.

Character select.

Some newer sprites (yes, that is Cats from Zero Wing in there)

The game is a scrolling shoot em up based on my webcomic Manga-Gaga. The game will have spoofs from moments from many of my favourite shooters such as Contra: Hard Corps, Battle Mania, Gunstar Heroes, Gigawing2 etc. The game would have around 4 playable characters, each with their own bombs and animations.

Only problem is, I have no idea how to edit HOR at all. I looked at the guide at the HOR website, but none of it really makes much sense to me. There doesn't appear to be any folders where all the images and animations are held in the open source release, so I don't know how to replace sprites. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, so I can get this project idea off the ground.

Thumbs up

Your game looks fantastic. I really love the sprites you did

HoR works similar to BoR (as it's built from the BoR engine), so some instructions can be used for HoR too.

At first, download the BoR Edit Pack here:
    http://www.senileteam.com/downloads.php?d=5

To extract the PAK files, you could use the BoR PAK extractor:
    http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/pakextractor.zip

The OpenBoR manual should hold some useful info too:
    http://openbor.net/downloads/OBM.rar

(It's mainly focussing on OpenBoR features, but there's some useful general information about how the BoR engine works.)

The custom palette guide by Drikobushi and probably other guides that can be found on BoR Revolution might be useful too:

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm

Btw, the official HoR forum is located here:
    http://openbor.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=12

Thanks for the links!

EDIT: Figured it out, got the extracted folder now.

DCEmu Newbie

Good to see some interest in HOR.

I know the engine isn't much, but it does have the basics.

I have made a few recent improvements - here's a sample

I've been playing around with the player info display so don't worry about it for now

Nice sprites by the way - sure beats the ones I made!

DCEmu Newbie

HOR is pretty awesome. I hope to see some cool things to come out of it.

New title screen!

New boss sprite. It's a screen filler!

Some of the new enemies sprites. Some of these may change . And yes, that is a nun on a wine bottle at the end there. Excluding these last set I've been making all the pixelart in oekakiBBS (an online paint type program), of all things.

I have the first three of them installed into the game, but I can't quite get the collision detection (i.e - where they can get hit) right. I've used the BOR instructions, but for some reason I can only shoot them from their offset, rather than their bbox, and I'm pretty sure I have them the right way around. For example:

loop 1
    delay 3
    offset 29 34
    bbox 0 0 30 43
    frame data/chars/enemies/twit1.gif
    frame data/chars/enemies/twit2.gif

(this is for that blue sprite on the far left) Correct me iif I'm wrong please.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by GagaMan
    I have the first three of them installed into the game, but I can't quite get the collision detection (i.e - where they can get hit) right. I've used the BOR instructions, but for some reason I can only shoot them from their offset, rather than their bbox, and I'm pretty sure I have them the right way around. For example:

loop 1
    delay 3
    offset 29 34
    bbox 0 0 30 43
    frame data/chars/enemies/twit1.gif
    frame data/chars/enemies/twit2.gif

(this is for that blue sprite on the far left) Correct me iif I'm wrong please.

It should work fine - I never changed how the collision detection is handled from bor - I'll look into it though.

Unhappy

I couldn't figure out the problem either.

Could you upload the original single frames for that enemy ? I mean atm, you got them all in one huge GIF.
    It probably would be helpful to be able to check the single frames you're working with for that enemy.

Btw: That new boss looks really scary - a huge improvement over the initial one ! Also the new sprites are amazing - especially the nun on a wine bottle stole my heart on first sight

There you go. The colours are a bit off because I'm not replacing the colour palette till I have all the sprites ready.

...which is a good idea.

Your offset is defined a bit too much to the right I think. Try the following values:

offset 18 29
    bbox 7 8 22 20

That should do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information