Thread: Utopia (again) coming soon

Blog Entries

psp Utopia (again) coming soon

News via http://www.psp-ita.com/?module=news&...5&view_reply=1

Now considered him to be abandoned, by 'summer of last year we no longer have heard in recent days but the surprise: the Utopia project was not put into oblivion, MathieuLH and other coders are (again) at work to complete the work. But what is Utopia, a new custom firmware? A homebrew? A hack for all the PSP into service? None of that. Utopia will be a new kernel (Definition) Open-source software for the PSP, which will completely replace the original system software, whose code will be rewritten from scratch and will remain available to all without any restrictions. The possibilities for development of homebrew / emulators with a firmware like this are many, to have a better idea about Utopia, please read the FAQs, some of them are listed below.
    If you are particularly interested to contribute to this project you can see a part of Source available.

FAQs:

Kernel definition
    Quote:

In computing, the kernel is the core of an operating system. This is a software with the task of providing the processes running on developing a secure and controlled access to hardware. As can be executed simultaneously more than one, the kernel also has the responsibility to allocate a portion of computer time and access to hardware to each program (multitasking). (...)

Quote:

1. What exactly UTOPIA?
    The UTOPIA project is a kernel open-source (source code will be made public and editable by everyone!) Optimized for the development of homebrew.

2. So UTOPIA is not a new Custom Firmware?
    Absolutely not, it is "only" a kernel.

3. Which existing kernel was based UTOPIA?
    Utopia is NOT based on Linux nor on any other open-source project.
    It 'a project based on a long reverse engineering sull'IPL Firmware 3.71.

4. E 'as a Kernel 1 .50, the 2.xx or 3.xx?
    Exactly, it's like on a Kernel mentioned, and indeed seem to take the place of the now obsolete Kernel 1.50.

5. Still contains PRX or lines of code owned by Sony?
    Absolutely not, UTOPIA will be free from any code copyrighted Sony!

All sounds interesting but also just too much bricking potential for me, i'll keep an eye on it but wait for the Guinea pigs to test first.

Sounds like it has a lot of potential, I'd love to see a less restricted PSP for homebrew. This may sound dumb, but does this mean no PSP games too?

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by shadowriffe View Post
    Sounds like it has a lot of potential, I'd love to see a less restricted PSP for homebrew. This may sound dumb, but does this mean no PSP games too?
    Depends, they could add that back in, but I think the code for that is copyrighted so I'm not sure.

Thread Information