Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a good story and dialogue for a game?

Default Need a good story and dialogue for a game?

Hi
    I want to make a new game but unfortunately have very litte code experience.
    What I do have is an excellent story and am willing to create a dialogue and script for an RPG. If anyones interested PM me or post here. I want to be a part of a good c/c++ RPG(no lua).

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Do you have a game design?

lol what do you have against lua???

its my primary coding language anyway why dont you post the dialog up on your post or set it as a download and put the dialog and game idea/concept in a txt file so that if anyone is interested they can have a quick look see at your idea

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Lua is a scripting language and as such it is very limiting to what it can do as a language.

lol. I dont have anything lua but as yaustar said its not very powerful and is only used to make simple apps and games. An RPG is anything but simple.

I only have a "back of the box" description of the story only as gameplay will be all be decided by the actual programmers. I'm hoping it can become quite an involving adventure with more being revealed as you progress. I'm quickly realising how this is a pretty stupid idea as no coder is actually going to use it.

But anyway here is the "back of the box" description
    Attachment 7209

Here is the Game Concept( Be aware that this is all subject to the coder(s) changes. These are simply Ideas that I am putting forward.)
    Attachment 7210

Yeah its really short but whatever

Remember I can write much more and as much as you want.

You got my attention by virtue of the simple fact that you used punctuation and proper grammar (!_!)

Coincidentally, this is the part of the development process that I dread the most, but also the portion that I think is the most important, hands down. If the project's interesting, I'd be interested in contributing.

I am a little concerned about the "no Lua" portion of your post though. Of course there are hundreds of legitimate reasons why you wouldn't want to be part of a Lua game (and I certainly don't blame you whatever the case), but the thought occured to me that you may have specified that because you may be looking to be part of a 3D game. If that's the case, I have no 3D game-building experience and wouldn't have much innate specialized experience to offer...

EDIT: HA HA! I was writing this as you made that post! I saw the attachment, and I'm not laughing, but it does sound very basic/standard. Do you have any thoughts about first act details? What about some "hooks"? Surely there must have been some particular reason you choose this story outline.

I'm very glad I've got your attention. Of course, if we work together, the game concept is subject to your changes.

By hooks do you mean twists?
    If so, there could be many twists we could incorporate.
    How about there being no safehaven

I actually chose this storyline quite at random while thinking up game ideas. It has some influences such as neverwinter nights. The reason I decided to post it here however, was because it is a very malleable idea. It can go anywhere you want it to go. You could make it story driven or action driven. More could be revealed as you go along about this "strife of the Gods" and it could be a huge plot players ache to discover. Or, of course it could be a simple hack and slash. Both of these could be very fun.
    However, I must admit I'm leaning more towards the story point.

Remember that it is not concrete at all. I can come up with a whole other story if you would like me to.

Oh and by the way a little music idea.
    I took it out of secret of mana:
    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...9/manafort.mid
    And this:
    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...99/angfear.mid

By hooks, I meant something that makes it unique in some way. Something that grabs your attention enough to get you into the story.

Additionally, whenever you get involved in a non-professional, non-commercial project, the harsh reality is that it'll probably never be completed. That's the reason I'm asking about a few possible first act details. A broad, grand story is awesome and all, but breaking the project down into realistic, accomplishable steps is the only way anything'll get done.

Just throwing ideas out there, but personally, I liked the interplanatry touch to the story. Something I'd personally really like to try though is a RPG set in modern day. I think there's a lot of potential there.

Mmmm yes

Yeah. Modern day has alot of potential. But I would still
    like it to have that medievel touch(like melee weapons perhaps?)

To make a modern day RPG would be very hard to do.
    Do you want a futuristic/modern RPG, an urban modern RPG or an RPG set in an alternate universe e.g chrono trigger, final fantasy?

Yeah you're right about the vast number of projects that never get completed. The first step is to create characters with background stories and sprites and think about where we want to go in terms of the game design. Only then can we think about implementing the story.

A few first act details?
    I'm thinking we should make a sort of introduction movie of sorts, more like a cutscene though. In this movie it should explain the major event/place/person/thing around which the whole game story revolves.
    I still don't know exactly what you can do in terms of coding so I'm leaving the minor details to you. This could become a significant "hook" to immerse the player in the story if we do the music/dialogue/graphics correctly.

The beginning won't be anything special. As I
    said: relatively simple player customization.
    What I really want is a good combat system. As I said before, I'm wondering what would be better and or easier: turn-based or hack n slash? I need a setting and a basic story/plot from you which I can build on and create dialogue for.

Please reply ASAP

EDIT: I found this really cool site for sprites and graphics. Check it our if you're interested. This could completely take care of the graphical side of things.
    I've already emailed many of the tile/sprite makers asking for permission to use them. I strongly suggest you check this website out:

http://www.molotov.nu/?page=graphics

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack23
    lI only have a "back of the box" description of the story only as gameplay will be all be decided by the actual programmers.
    Sorry, but I stopped here. Game Design is not part of the programmers job. Very few people will take on the project. If it was a smaller game then it might be plausible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information