Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advancement in UMD technology?

Default Advancement in UMD technology?

I was just thinking that UMD movies would be alot more popular if they had special features and bonus content. This could possibly even save the UMD.

Ok so we all know about single and dual layer DVDs which hold 4.7 and 8.? gigs respectively but can both be read by the same device. Also, we know of the 700mb CD-Rom and the elusive 800mb one that came later. These could also both be read by the same laser, even though companies hadn't planned for their devices to read anything bigger than 700mb. All they had to do was to base this new 800mb disk around existing disk drive technology right?

Now I'm asking: couldn't the same be done for the UMD format? Even a small increase of 100mb on the CD-Rom, relative to a UMD is 250 mbs more data. Games could be longer. UMD Movies would give you your money's worth etc.

Surely such a thing is possible?

DCEmu Rookie

They could be working on it as we speak.....

good idea

DCEmu Regular

It should be noted that Dual-Layer DVDs don't work on all players, especially the first-run ones that came out. While this is a minor issue, it still shows that it's not always absolute that all disc media can be easily upgradable.

DCEmu Legend

You know what would save the UMD? Sony actually using it on more than just the damned PSP. Why should movie studios and music studios opt to putting their content on UMDs when Sony has such little faith in the medium to not make it widespread?

The instant the PSP came out Sony should have started equipping UMD drives on everything they make, DVD players, Vaio computers, Handycams, PS3, etc.

By limiting UMD to only the PSP means that the audience base is limited as well; making UMD drives standard equipment on most other Sony made devices would create a much larger base market.

Throw it in a handycam-digital camera device that can record to UMD and allow people to create videos and take photos that can be viewed from the PSP or stored onto computers equipped with UMD drives or on a UMD player hooked up to the tv.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark
    You know what would save the UMD? Sony actually using it on more than just the damned PSP. Why should movie studios and music studios opt to putting their content on UMDs when Sony has such little faith in the medium to not make it widespread?

The instant the PSP came out Sony should have started equipping UMD drives on everything they make, DVD players, Vaio computers, Handycams, PS3, etc.

By limiting UMD to only the PSP means that the audience base is limited as well; making UMD drives standard equipment on most other Sony made devices would create a much larger base market.

Throw it in a handycam-digital camera device that can record to UMD and allow people to create videos and take photos that can be viewed from the PSP or stored onto computers equipped with UMD drives or on a UMD player hooked up to the tv.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist...
    good point i agree 100%, then people would beable to use UMDs for everything instead of bein limited to just usin them on the psp

Yes a burner would make umd format much more usable, although this might create a rash of bootleg discs

a umd video camera would work really well, they already have a miniv dvd camera.

the size is a real problem though, i saw king kong in the shop the other day, its a 2 disc UMD set with no extras! they had to split the film in to 2 UMDs to get it to fit!

LOL accordian_boy I dont believe you.
    How could they do that? I mean for Christ's sake.

Anyway, don't get you hopes up folks.
    Maybe in 40-60 years when we have grandchildren Sony will release a UMD writer, not before then. Sony is wise to the fact that piracy would not make such writers worth their while. I commend Sony for being the first company to take this so seriously and actually make a propietary format for just this reason. Although there are ISO's, memory is limited and I can bet as someone said previously there would be a wealth of bootleg disks.

Anyway back to UMD movies. (I still don't believe you accordian_boy :P) I don't see any benefit in making UMDs multiplatform. Imagine seeing UMDs on a bigger screen *shivers* I really think they should start 2 UMD box-sets(but not 2 for the just the movie!) so one disk can hold the movie and the other special features and trailers. Maybe they could produce 900mb disks for just the purpose of being special features disks and thus retain almost the same price as single disk UMD movies. I don't know, just a thought. After all, most money gets spent on licensing and red tape while it costs next to nothing for the actual disks.

im very serious, it says 2 disc special addition, HA

heres a link to amazons info page
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=283926

but it would probably cost more to produce extra 900mb discs as well because most of the cost in UMD production goes into the casing and asembly, and extra process for smaller discs would increase cost!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information