Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feature - Are Sony Using Code From VGS or Bleem in their PSone Emulator for PSP ?

Blog Entries

psp Feature - Are Sony Using Code From VGS or Bleem in their PSone Emulator for PSP ?

Sony are to release a Playstation One Emulator in their PSP handheld Console but several years ago they were extremely anti PsOne emulators and took 2 Software Developers to Court and actually brought one of those companies.

Back in 2001 Sony, after trying to put the Mac Based Playstation Emulator Virtual Game Station produced by Connectix out of buisness since 1999 brought the company and since then nothing has been heard of from the emulator.

Around the same the Bleem Company introduced the world to its Playstation Emulator for the PC and the world was amazed at both these emulators, Bleem also released 3 Single Game Playstation Emulators for the Dreamcast which actually played PSOne games at a higher resolution thus making Sony extremely annoyed and worried.

Both emulators brought PSone emulation to their respective systems and threatened Sonys PS2 sales which worried Sony no end, one of the sales features of the PS2 was the fact it played PSOne games, but to see the best games playable on the Rival Dreamcast or Windows/Mac computers was something Sony would not stand for.

So after many legal battles Sony won and both companies were either Sold to Sony or just folded.

PSone Emulation in the PSP

If you have never used VGS or Bleem then you have missed out on 2 of the finest emulators released ever, Sony releasing their own PSone emulator for the PSP should be very interesting, especially if its using code from either VGS or Bleem.

A PSP magazine this week claimed that 7000 games will be playable in some form on the soon to be released PSP Emulator which gives further credence to what im saying above.

Over the next few months we shall see the emulator released and then we can put it under the microscope.

Its amazing that a company who went after emulator coders so much years ago is now releasing its own commercial emulator.

Got an Opinion or a Comment then please respond

DCEmu Rookie

Heh, yeah right. Bleem! was highly underdeveloped. There's now way it'd run any good game like Final Fantasy VIII. Now, they could improve it, but they'd still need to port it first. It would be far easier to make one from scratch.

The only really good thing about Bleem! is that they developed their own, legal BIOS, making it the only legally usable PlayStation emulator. But that isn't needed for the PSP, since Sony are distributing it...

They better use the VGS code than make a crappy emulator. I think they will, since they own the company and the code. They only need to port it, wich shouldn't be dificult for those people.

I don't care how they do it, i can't wait for a full speed ps1 emu for the psp

Would still prefer a homebrew one though.....

the emulator made by sony should be the very best for the psp as its there hardware there porting so it should be good as there the ones that made the ps1 so they should have the best understanding of how to creat a ps1 emu for the psp

i say they should build one from scratch i think it would be better that way

DCEmu Rookie

from my point of view, Sony should start it from scratch.

they know the hardware, they have the resources, the programmers, the money, etc...so why not create it with lots of ASM to make it run smooth?

it just makes sense...

I just thought about the widescreen of the PSP and how that will be handled with this emu. Originally I figured that there would either be a stretched out screen or black spaces on the left and right of the screen. Now I am thinking that Sony might alter the games to make them fit on the PSP screen. They are already changing them so the buttons will work so why not change the screen. Also, will Sony change the games and input online play? They'd better. If they don't do that then they are just lazy. We really need someone to make a homebrew PS1 emulator, badly.

DCEmu Rookie

I'd say what xiringu says. Sony actually have 1:1 facts on every instruction the psone handles, which "normal" emu-devs only have guessed. They should be able to make a splendid emu on their own knowledge of the psone.

If sony is doing it, regardless of how they do it, it will be worth it. Ive used many sony products/software and they never do anything half-behind.

This emu will run perfectly, though im not certine about the screen size, or the size of the games themselves for that matter, but i am damb shure im goin to have to choose between ps1 emu or homebrew...

Im really hoping some talented coder will be able to hack the emu and make it playable on 1.5fw, and if its not possible, then i hope some 1 just makes a ps1 emu of there own.

The way i see it, if n64 can be emulated so can ps1. I cant wait for this to launch and plan to play FF7 and CV SOTN right away, depending on the price.

The homebrew scene will be all over this, just hope for a good outcome from those talented coders.

DCEmu Rookie

The point is that it is their product so they can do what they want with it. It will only help sales of the psp.

When another company bites into their bottom line, then its another matter entirely. I cant blame them for clamping down on emulation when its going to hurt sales. Cant wait for ps1 emualtion on the psp though!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information