Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new project, need some help!

DCEmu Newbie

Default new project, need some help!

i've just realised that my original post was probably in the wrong forum, so i thought i'd start this thread. basically i'm after some help, advce and ideally a coder with experience of 3D for a project i'm strating...

find out a bit more here (onsite link). there's also a little lua script i spent 20 minutes messing around with to see what it was all about (it's pretty straight forward really isn't it!)

Strating you say?

I think that this project looks fairly interesting if you wanted I could tell you a few methods to create a 2D version of what your talking about in Lua..
    I accualy have no experince in any other languages of programming, so I cant help you there.. However if you need a 3D model for any reason, I work in 3D, so I could do some 3D modeling work for you if you need it.

DCEmu Newbie

well want to start really... i guess if i can't get any help on the 3D side of things i might ditch it and try to do some other (simpler) ideas myself since i had quite a bit of fun with lua last night.

basically i want to do a bit of a remake of sensible software's wizball in 3D. graphically it'll be very simple (but kind of stylised, with a neo-retro chic ) and in terms of stuff like ai they'll just be static or move along a predefined path.

the main thing i want to find out about is if it were possible to do in 3D using lua or if i'd be better off modding something like iris? bearing in mind i have next to no coding experience.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jman420
    Strating you say?

I think that this project looks fairly interesting if you wanted I could tell you a few methods to create a 2D version of what your talking about in Lua..
    I actually have no experience in any other languages of programming, so I cant help you there.. However if you need a 3D model for any reason, I work in 3D, so I could do some 3D modeling work for you if you need it.
    sounds good! what package do you use? i'm using max7 at the moment but i'm wondering how i can export these to something lua can read. do you know if it's possible of if someone has written any kind of max script for it?

the main objective with the wizball idea would be to do it in 3D. i'm not really interested in simply doing a 2D remake, since the original works just perfectly in pspvice (if it ain't broken, don't fix it). so if i can't get it started in 3D i'll probably move on to do another idea(s) which are much more simple but might still require a bit of help with some lua stuff so any help will be appreciated.

well everyone around this forum seems to be very nice saying they will help out with anything like modeling and 3d texture coding, i was just wondering whether ur all really nice people just here to help out with the homebrew scene coz its a hobby or whether your doing it for a fee.

coz to me it seems a bit of a waste of your time that your doing stuff for people and getting nothing in return

DCEmu Newbie

most definitely a hobby... although for some they can put it on a cv and it might be of interest to potential employers too.

in terms of not getting anything in return, are you suggesting that homebrew developers should start charging for their services?! because you realise then that you'd be the one ending up paying don't you!

if a coder has to pay an artist to do something for a project or vica versa that cost would be passed on to the end user... you! effectively this would completely kill the whole homebrew scene.

people do this as a learning experience and a bit of fun. jman420 kindly offered his support and also asked if i needed any help with the 3D moddeling side of things... now coming from a commercial game design background i know plenty of very good 3D artists who do this for a living and would no doubt do a much better job than jman (no offence intended jman, some of them have 10+ years industry experience) but he no doubt wants to improve his skills, and do something creative with his spare time. as do i. that is the reward, for me at least...

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by GeEkPiE
    well everyone around this forum seems to be very nice saying they will help out with anything like modeling and 3d texture coding, i was just wondering whether ur all really nice people just here to help out with the homebrew scene coz its a hobby or whether your doing it for a fee.

coz to me it seems a bit of a waste of your time that your doing stuff for people and getting nothing in return

I never done anything for the psp scene...
    however in my time i ve done a lot for the amiga scene and somehow it help me getting the job i ve got now...it s not a waste of time, wile working on homebrew games, softwares or demo...you share a lot of informations, practice your skill, etc...

Default !!

its summer nuttin else to do but go to football untill the wekends

Quote Originally Posted by dadrester
    sounds good! what package do you use? i'm using max7 at the moment but i'm wondering how i can export these to something lua can read. do you know if it's possible of if someone has written any kind of max script for it?

the main objective with the wizball idea would be to do it in 3D. i'm not really interested in simply doing a 2D remake, since the original works just perfectly in pspvice (if it ain't broken, don't fix it). so if i can't get it started in 3D i'll probably move on to do another idea(s) which are much more simple but might still require a bit of help with some lua stuff so any help will be appreciated.
    Well I have and use 3D Studio Max 7 aswell, and accualy, its not possible to "export" to a file format that you can use, I was thinking more like rendering an image of a ball, and blitting it on the screen.. Its just because of Lua, as far as I know, there isnt a way to do any 3D rendering in Lua. I can help you with some Lua code, I'm currently learning Lua aswell, but I've learned enough to make a small RPG game. If you do need any help, you can PM me or send a message to my AIM, MSN, or Yahoo IM's.

And well, I think that its just a hobby for us, personaly, I just want to help people make things, I've always been interested in making my own games, and I'm sure a lot of other people are too. So I help if I can. I also share stuff I learn with people.
    It's a lot like a hobby, but its still more like an intrest, and yeah, I only help people on the homebrew PSP scene. (but I used to be the "know it all" for a MMORPG called: Runescape, I'd be the person to ask about anything, so I have experince helping people)

Default rune scape

it took my life away from me after i beat the game thing though it sorta got boring made a lvl 20 newb the happiest noob ever i jus gave all of my stuff to him neva going back to that game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information