Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is Piracy a Big Factor in Todays Consoles

This is what I think is really hurting software companies:

When I saw the advertisements and read the overviews of the Xbox game Tao Feng, I got really excited.

I like fighting games and the first game I bought for my Xbox was DOA3. Hell, I even bought the Xbox because I loved DOA2 on DC so much. Between DOA3 and Tao Feng I bought several games and overall I was satisfied by my purchases.

Tao Feng was released and on the first day I went and paid my $60 and took the game home. It was nothing like I was promised. The so-called hyper-real damage fighting system only affects things between rounds; there was no immediate effect on the characters. The single biggest selling point was a lie. Every other aspect of the game was also exaggerated to the point of escaping from the reality of the game.

This game was made by Microsoft. It was an in-house game. It should have been top notch. Something along the lines of the Halo of fighting games. But it didn't even have HDTV, Live, Syslink, custom soundtracks, or anything else that MICROSOFT had been touting as superior to Sony.

To worsen a poor purchase, the game dropped to $20 in a month. I couldn't even trade it in or sell it to lessen the damage to my game budget.

This was the last game I bought for my Xbox. Now 99% of the time I use my Xbox for XBMC.

Crappy games and false advertising are hurting software companies. I guess you could say software companies are hurting software companies.

I have to admit that yes, I do pirate games. But not that many, I tried GTA for PSP and loved it. So I left it on there. I don't use the spyware ridden Limewire either I use something else, for my quality pirate games LOL. And, Psyberjock is that you in you're avatar?

DCEmu Newbie

I think used games that are being sold by the large software chains in the mall are more damaging then software piracy.
    If you could buy a nearly new game that is guaranteed to work for $5 to $10 less then a brand new game most people would save the money and buy a used game.
    Unless all of the people are trading in their used games and buying brand new games, the game companies aren't selling any new games. I'm sure if people are trading in their used games they are probably getting used games in return.
    Then you have game rentals at Blockbuster video where kids can rent a game, beat it within a week and bring it back. When this happens a company could have lost a successful sale.
    The best thing that software companies can do is release a demo of the game and that way people can try it before they buy it. Thats the best part of Xbox Live, the demos for the 360.

everyone i know that has a psp,xbox,ps1,ps2,pc.
    have never pirated anything ,they have jobs and no kids .nice collections of everything and play them when there not working, they love hollywood
    and dont do drugs,but love to drink.there a bunch of idiots .that honestly think they belive in god .

me i cannot do it enogh,would do it in my sleep if i could ,have no job ,3 kids a real wife ,never finished a game in my life ,spend more money on gameing crap than ever before in my life. hate hollywood ,and do all kinda drugs, NO alcohol ever .i know there is no god .

so i have no idea what this means ,but there is something here .

my friends are in there mid 20s im almost 40.
    i catch them in walmart all the time buying games for the psp,xbox360 and they all have firmware 7 and could careless about homebrew (to much work for them).

the industry never had me as a customer untill i started to pirate.this is my story ,i dont think im hurting them.but i still think piracy is wrong ,i know its wrong and hurts the industry .

is this some kind of trap to flush out all the rule breakers?
    clever

oh and yes i think piracy does hurt current consoles, but not those out of production
    unless your nintendo who insist on reselling all there old nes/snes games because all they can come up with now is mario stikers!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Psyberjock

When I saw the advertisements and read the overviews of the Xbox game Tao Feng, I got really excited. .
    i was right there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyberjock

Crappy games and false advertising are hurting software companies. I guess you could say software companies are hurting software companies.
    tao feng did have amazing graphics but yes, he makes a wonderful point and i agree entirely and went thru the exact same experience......

less games made and at a higher quality rather than pushing absolute garbage out the doors of the software companys would be a good thing.

10 bucks an hour is cheap entertainment, most games do not even provide their worth using my 10 bucks an hour equation, now halo, based on my system should have cost about 500 bucks

pirating games and programs for your own amusement or knowlage is ok, but pirating things and selling them... now thats just wrong.

I only download old games that aren't sold anymore brand new like snes, nes, and sega genesis now that I have my psp. I tried downloading games for my computer, but it just isn't the same, its actually really boring. I will actually buy the good games like half life 2 and oblivion, it just isn't the same when a great game is pirated. Good games aren't special if you don't own the original copy.

I think that everyone just needs to stop complaining about piracy existing and stop trying to make others stop piracy will always exist, there is no way around it you either like it or hate the fact thats all there is to it.

DCEmu Newbie

Hey oninotsume, if the long hours and stress of workiing in the gaming industry are too much for you, you can just get a job flippin burgers at Burger King. theyre always hiring. But if you did that then you wouldnt make enough money to buy videogames so you would have to download them if you wanted to play.

Quote Originally Posted by YourStillWithMe
    I think that everyone just needs to stop complaining about piracy existing and stop trying to make others stop piracy will always exist, there is no way around it you either like it or hate the fact thats all there is to it.
    i believe you are right. as long as the game manufacturers and creators make games there are still going to be people who will pirate games if not for personal profit but to avoid the cost of buying the actual game because they are to cheap to buy it.

btw, speaking of pirates, is Pirates of the Caribbean 2 any good?

Thread Information