Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project DS Announced

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Default Re: Project DS Announced

flash can not be ported because there is no source code.

i like this idea, if all u have to know is simple javescript to get some sort of out put i will have a go at it....

here is a great wee site with lots of javascript stuff http://javaboutique.internet.com/
    hall of fame http://javaboutique.internet.com/stats/halloffame.html

DCEmu Coder

I've been working on more-or-less the same thing, but using BASIC instead of JavaScript. Once finished, it looks like the two projects will be pretty evenly matched in terms of capability and (relative) ease of use, so the only major difference is the programming language it's tied to. There are a lot of people who know one of the two languages, and neither are particularly difficult to learn.

I think KJS (the JavaScript engine in DS) is a bit faster than wxBasic (the BASIC interpreter I'm using), but since the Dreamcast's 3D hardware is doing most of the work, I don't think that'll matter too much.

I was thinking the same thing about flash... I wish that could come to dreamcast as so much great media exists for flash.

Basic running slower than java script? That sounds just a little bit werid.

[quote author=BlackAura link=board=Dev;num=1090864320;start=0#11 date=07/28/04 at 01:37:38]I've been working on more-or-less the same thing, but using BASIC instead of JavaScript. Once finished, it looks like the two projects will be pretty evenly matched in terms of capability and (relative) ease of use, so the only major difference is the programming language it's tied to. There are a lot of people who know one of the two languages, and neither are particularly difficult to learn.

I think KJS (the JavaScript engine in DS) is a bit faster than wxBasic (the BASIC interpreter I'm using), but since the Dreamcast's 3D hardware is doing most of the work, I don't think that'll matter too much.[/quote]

Yeah - I was getting ready to mention that. I am very intrigued by this project. The thought of being able to run BASIC on the Dreamcast simply blows my mind.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

I am no brainer with Java Script but if it has anything to do with upping the graphics a bit to homebrew,emulation and other such projects then way to go

DCEmu Pro

I'm about to email macromedia, see if we cant get the source for flashy player, I think once they realise we don't want to use it for comercial purposes they might let us have the source.

DCEmu Coder

[quote author=1timeuser link=board=Dev;num=1090864320;start=0#12 date=07/28/04 at 08:27:56]Basic running slower than java script? That sounds just a little bit werid.[/quote]

Well, the JavaScript engine Scherzo is using was designed to be portable, modular, small, and fast. The BASIC interpreter I'm using was not intended to be any of those things.

[quote author=Mental2k link=board=Dev;num=1090864320;start=15#15 date=07/28/04 at 15:32:43]I'm about to email macromedia, see if we cant get the source for flashy player, I think once they realise we don't want to use it for comercial purposes they might let us have the source.[/quote]

Feel free to try, but I don't think they'll cooperate. Typically, they're more than happy to allow other tools to create Flash files, but they're not too happy when someone tries to write a player.

DCEmu Pro

They have provided me with an application form to apply for permission to access to the flash player SDK and will review my application.

Here's hopin like hell this works!

DCEmu Pro

They turned down the application on account of it costing too much for the SDK. *Though if anyone is interested in persuing this further, here is the email that macromedia sent me,

Dear Alexander Orr,

Thank you for your interest in the Flash Player SDK program. The minimum, upfront cost to license the Flash Player Software Development Kit is quite significant. Based on the annual revenue that you mentioned in your submission, we do not feel that our solution would fit into your budget.

If you want us to consider negotiating a License Agreement with you, please send email to ![email protected] with complete information including your company's URL, details regarding its annual revenue and an extended description of your intended use of the SDK.

In the meantime, we will keep your information on file. Should we develop a product in the future that might be of interest to you, we will contact you at that time. We appreciate your continued interest in Macromedia products.

Sincerely,
    Elaine Connolly
    Maybe if one of the more experienced members of the scene would like to negotiate a deal with them. It might just be possible, but out of my grasp I fear, I dont have the knowledge. Though someone please pursue this!

there are open source flash players around, why not port one of those...? I would absolutely love this... imagine having all of the strongbad episodes on one cd... watchable on a tv... fatastic. especially if you made a dream inducer image with an mp3 player and stick all of his songs on it too.... "Alllright for toooniiiight"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information