Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would the Release of a Full Speed (or near full speed) Get a Bad Reaction From Sony

Blog Entries

psp Would the Release of a Full Speed (or near full speed) Get a Bad Reaction From Sony

The upcoming release of the PSone emulator by Sony is their attempt to stop a lot of homebrewers and make a bag of cash in the process.

Now if a coder on this scene were to release a Full Speed or near full speed PSOne emulator for PSP would this be the catalyst for Sony to punish the coder/release site and the homebrew scene as a whole ?

Lets be realistic, its very likely a full speed PSOne emulator can be done by porting one of the great PSone emulators to the PSP, but Sony have been known to get pissy in the past with PSone emulators for Windows, Mac and Dreamcast.

If such a release were to happen what do you think would be Sonys Reaction ?

I think its rather obvious that sony would press charges and definately go to court with the creator. But if it is already on the net along with the source, there isnt much sony can do to stop it. It would be spread and the source would be updated

DCEmu Newbie

I don't know...
    coders would emulate the new firmware with the PSOne emulator in FW1.5 anyway...

sony would probly stop making new firmwares

-!-
    /\

Yeah.They'd take the creator to court but once the homebrews out there,$ony cant stop it spreadin.Why wont they give us homebrew on all firmwares!?!

i say send the program out to the web and the creator doesnt give out any info that would lead to sony finding him and nobody gets hurt

The author could post it anonymous, which even would be more funny
    to all of us

Sony can't press charges to people who make emulators as its not illegal. Distributing the PSX bios or roms is another issue and they have every right to press charges.

Legally could SONY do anything because I believe that emulation is a free and legal so even if SONY did take the creator of the emulator to court could they really do anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by O-bake
    The author could post it anonymous, which even would be more funny
    to all of us

This would be funny but I bet if Sony really wanted to do so they could find out who it is and where they live. However I don't think Sony could do anything to the coder in charge. The homebrew emulation of the new firmware or a seperate PS1 emulator is inevitable in my eyes. It's just a matter of when this happens and how fast it is. If an emulator is made far after 3.0 comes out then I don't think it will be as much of a problem. But, if and emulator comes out just before Sony's release then Sony will be angry.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information