Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle for Wesnoth DC - SDL porter needed!

DCEmu_Newsposter

Default Battle for Wesnoth DC - SDL porter needed!

A member of the www.dcemu.co.uk forums, 1timeuser, has posted some info about the very interesting looking SDL based fantasy strategy game The Battle for Wesnoth at our message board:[br][br]
    [br][br]http://www.wesnoth.org/[br][br]He considered a port of this game at the developers message board and recieved this answer by the main developer:[br][br]Hi there, [br][br]We'd certainly be interested in a Dreamcast port, although I don't think anyone on our development team has the skills, resources, or time to do it. But if someone was interested in doing it we'd support them however we could. [br][br]David[br][br]So if anyone is willing to do this port or to help out, please get in contact with the game developers.

Default Re: Battle for Wesnoth DC - SDL porter needed!

this is the lead developers email - davidnwhite(AT)optusnet.com.au

this is the lead developers email. Someone really should contact him. I would, but i have no idea what im talking about.

Edited by Curtiss Grymala to remove "@" from email. As a common courtesy, when we post other people's email addresses, we should try to edit them so that spam robots cannot easily pick them up.

;D This game looks awesome! I love strategy games... Especially fantasy strategy games...

Chris

Dream Coder

its written using really heavy C++ (by that i mean a lot of classes and such) and so a DC version isnt very possible without large rewrites of the code.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

They are willing to offer help and surely are very interested in a port to DC. A quote from ziberpunk, a devver of Battle for Wesnoth:

It may be easy but I don't see it very clear. Some more info would be very appreciated. Which steps should be done for porting Battle for Wesnoth to DreamCast?

SDL is supposed to be already ported to DC, but no officially supported. Has you tested it?

Other SDL libs user for wesnoth work aswell with DC?

Which compiler is used for DC? GCC should work or any special framework is used?

Is there any free emulator of DC to test this all?

After seeing that nice image the game looks like a command and conquer copy but i dont know so i have to say it would look pretty interesting on the dc and i hope things will work out with this port

[quote author=quzar link=board=Dev;num=1087024756;start=0#3 date=06/13/04 at 00:39:43]its written using really heavy C++ (by that i mean a lot of classes and such) and so a DC version isnt very possible without large rewrites of the code. [/quote]
    I am not sure if there's a possibility that these compilers are still available somewhere but...

Dave wrote:
    If there is no way to port games that use C++ to Dreamcast without porting them to C first, I would honestly say that it's too much effort to even consider.

Well, unless someone has a tool/compiler that will compile C++ to C. This is what the original C++ compiler, C-Front did. Not sure if there are any such compilers still commonly available though.

David

its not a matter of C++ not working on the dreamcast its more its an incomplete set of libraries. There are no stream class support (so no cout/cin etc.) Alot of the functions such as vectors can be found in the dreamcast port of STLport.

also the SDL_net lib has not been ported to the dreamcast. I don't know much about this game is it multiplayer on the same machine or just across a network?

also depending on the size of the graphics would have to be evaluated, since the limited memory of the dreamcast.

It is possible to rewrite the missing functions with C code or to use supported C++ classes.

Most of the SDL ports I have done, and have seen done require just a Dreamcast Makefile, and other dreamcast specific changes ie cd path, controllers etc.. But there are some exceptions.

Troy

"After seeing that nice image the game looks like a command and conquer copy but i dont know so i have to say it would look pretty interesting on the dc and i hope things will work out with this port "

This dosnt at all look like a c&c clone... nor does it play ANYTHING like a c&c clone. Its a very unique game. Check out the PC version, its still cool, just not on Dreamcast. In other words, it could be alot cooler. :P

what i meant is its look like cause its a war battle type of game click and fight like command and conquer plays thats why i said it i can look at a game and can tell how it plays but if its nothing like that i can say it might be like warsong or final fantasy tactics type of game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information