Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Eggman's Revisiting Robots?

General games Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Eggman's Revisiting Robots?

via IGN

When SEGA pulled back the curtain on Project Needlemouse yesterday and revealed its actual title to be Sonic the Hedgehog 4, the company did so with a new website dedicated solely to the game -- and overflowing with countdown timers. Though the debut trailer and some small bits of additional info were available, much of the site's content was -- and still is -- locked down by ticking clocks that seem poised to further pull back that curtain, little by little, over the coming days and weeks.

Well, the first countdown's done.

The timer set to expire at 8 a.m. Pacific Time today has done so, revealing an "Intro" section of the site that sets up the storyline for the upcoming sequel. Most of the text within is a recap of the events featured in the first few Sonic games from the Genesis days, but there's a hint or two thrown in near the end. Here's the text, as it appears over on SonicTheHedgehog4.com:

Story in spoiler below
    Spoiler!

That's not a lot to go on there, but that tidbit at the end about Eggman revisiting and improving the very best of his creations seems intriguing. We already know some of the classic stage enemy Badniks are making a return, but could we also be facing classic bosses from Sonic 1, 2 and 3 in new, reimagined form in Sonic 4? And, if so, which ones?

Sound off in our Comments box below if you've got ideas on the issue, and whether or not you agree with the move -- should Sonic 4 be packed with old bosses given updates, or would you prefer that our hero's nemesis got more creative and came at him with all-new weapons of war? Let us know your thoughts, and stay tuned as more and more information about the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is revealed.
    Last edited by Shrygue; February 5th, 2010 at 18:03.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

First of, change his name back to Dr Robotnik!

I strongly agree, the name Eggman doesn't sit well with me.

I wouldn't really mind to be honest. I like the look of things at the moment and I couldn't care less if Sonic has green eyes like I've read people whining on other forums.

Even if it's not a direct sequel to S3&k and has a Modern look for a retro styled game, I think it's pretty cool replaying those old badniks. It would also allow us to get used to Sonic 4 since it's different from the original trilogy. The Sonic Xtreme team had this in mind when they made the jump with Sonic into a 3D world. They made sure that even though it was new game play it was easy to pick up and felt like the old games. Even if you don't personally want it because you're too "l337" at Sonic, I think it's a good choice to make.

I've played way too much Sonic. I'm burned out, again why doesn't sega bring back Alex Kidd or the Wonder Boy series? Now THAT would be retro!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaviour69 View Post
    First of, change his name back to Dr Robotnik!
    Doctor Eggman is the Japanese name, hopefully the English releases have his name as Dr. Robotnik and only nicknamed Eggman like in Sonic Adventure where he was called both.

Quote Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
    Alex Kidd
    If I'm not mistaken, Alex Kidd is in the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing title... On his bike it seems, according to my poster.

Eggman is the Japanese name. Dr. Robotnik is the American/European Name. In Sonic Adventure, Sonic called him Eggman as an insult (I think? it's been too long since I've played the game). But Eggman doesn't bother me. It's like saying Rockman bothers me and I prefer Megaman (the intention of the names is lost in the localization. Example: Rock and Roll in the Megaman series. In the Sonic the Hedgehog series for Genesis/Mega Drive, Eggman's boss machines were named with the Egg prefix on them, hence Egg Robo, Death Egg, ect...).

On to other things. As for the best of Robotnick's machines? I can see some classics coming back like the Wrecking ball for Sonic, EggRobo, Mecha Sonic, The Egg Robot from Sonic and Knuckles, and probably other mini bosses I can't recall from the 16-bit games. Now I have to go back and hook up the Saturn and play "Sonic Jam".

P.S. Thank you Sega for coming back to your senses and coming up with a TRUE sequel using classic gameplay. It's like Nintendo was doing up until the release of New Super Mario Bros for the DS (which was awesome).

DCEmu Rookie

Please release for psp. *begs*

Thread Information