Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 'to last 10 years'

Blog Entries

ps3 PS3 'to last 10 years'

PlayStation 3 will "last 10 years" thanks to its choice of Blu-ray as its optical disc format, according to the graphics chip company that has worked on both PS3 and the original Xbox.

PS3 will last longer than its competitors as the Blu-ray Disc is the future of high-density storage, Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO of graphics chip company nVidia, told US site Mercury News. The tech boss said it would be an "impossible scenario" for any company to "announce a games console for the next 10 years and not have Blu-ray," and he believes that this will be evident when consumers choose their next-gen console.

If this turns out to be true it partly backs up Sony's claims that its technology is 'future proof', with most games consoles becoming outdated in around five years.

Huang then explained that Sony will be able to make up ground on Xbox 360, despite being released much later and delaying its development so that it could include Blu-ray, stating, "when [PS3] comes out, it's going to look so much more advanced than last-generation game consoles."

The CEO also mentioned that nVidia is "a good 10 years" away from photorealistic graphics, which is good timing, as that's when it seems we could be expecting PS4.

They Said the psp would last ten years...

I'm sure they say this about all their consoles. I do believe that PS3 games will be made around 2015, but they will have a PS4 by 2012.

DCEmu Rookie

at the rate technology grows now, I doubt people will support PS3 in 10 years time.

of course, I could still play now with a PSOne, and even a NES, but that doesn't mean I would buy anything NEW for it, or spend any money on it now.

PS3, like anything else, will be obsolete in 3-4 years and somebody will make something much more powerful to make people droole and NEED to buy it and that's the way it works. it's always been that way and it will be in the future

I will be very old :S

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

News consoles will appear 2009 and 2010. No console can last ten years.

translate as

sony will support the conolse for 10 years

or until they lose all there money

I agree with kaiser its like saying technologie will stand still they only last about 5 to 6 years and then will see ps4

i agree with part of this... i think buy 10 years from now every console will need to have bluray to atleast compete

DCEmu Newbie

yeaaah.. deffo.. unless by then some other crazy ass disc format is released.. meh... we'll just have to wait and see I spose.. but I can't see it being top of the table for ten years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information