Thread: TV as monitor, good for videos?

DCEmu Regular

Default TV as monitor, good for videos?

I know the method of using an S-Video out cable and setting up your videocard to use the TV is pretty standard, but I hear the quality is horrible.

A good S cable costs like 3-5 bucks, is it worth it?

I plan on using it for videos and maybe play some of those old games I never got to. Using a laptop of course.

It's worth it, you should beable to run at the TV's native resolution (if it is HD)

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Computer_kid
    It's worth it, you should beable to run at the TV's native resolution (if it is HD)
    Nope, no HD. Thats the thing. If it was HD I know I would get good visuals.

Ive used the s-video out on my video card a few times on a normal tv, gotta say its not enjoyable. Its too blurry to read text making playing games and regular tasks horrible, and the tv I use is really good quality too. I cant imagine movies much better.

well, from my limted expirece with certain tv out functional devices, its well worth it, for example my dxr3 has dvd quality mpeg out (DVD and Mpeg only) capabilities and such, but for regular tv out, u might wanna get a scan converter and just plug your vga into it

It also depends on the tipe of TV, It would work very desent with a panasonic with black tube.

Normally video cards output on S-video a 1024x768, and it will comeout blurry. HD-out is much more richer and definately worth it if you have a hd-tv. Normally s-video cable is just a neat little feature that nobody really uses for much but if you have a decent tv and are interested in movies then buying a cable isnt a bad idea but dont expect it to be nearly as clear as your monitor, but it is nice if you want to watch a movie with friends...

Thread Information