Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legality of Custom Gameboots Produced with Sony's Leaked Tools

DCEmu Legend

psp Legality of Custom Gameboots Produced with Sony's Leaked Tools

Heres a Public Service Announcement and we at DCEmu fully agree with the statement ahead

With the recent slew of custom gameboots coming down the pipes, many here may be jumping for joy at the prospect. But there is a problem with them: they may be illegal.

The problem arises from the tools that produce them, which, if you are unaware, were leaked a few days ago ( you can read about it here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30167 ) Some members have claimed to have downloaded these leaked tools and others have outright released what they have made with them.

With the limited understanding of the laws in the US that I have, I firmly believe that these gameboots are illegal.

Just like developers need to get a license to develop software for the PSP that will be 'official' software, so too do developers need to get a license to use the UMD software package that was leaked.

The license also applies to any information released using the products. If the party isn't licensed to use the software, they aren't licensed to release anything they make with it.

This package may have been included as part of PSP dev-kits, which, if you are a homebrew developer, you already know that all software made with these dev-kits, if acquired illegally, are illegal (and no self respecting homebrew site would knowingly allow those files to be hosted on their servers).

This legal problem can and very well be the end of homebrew sites as we know them, if something is not done about this.

Sony has a vested interest in these tools and what can be made with them, and I believe that if we allow for dicussion of these tools and files made. released, and distributed using these tools, that we can gurantee that Sony will have more than enough reason to shut down homebrew sites.

So far, we have maintained an image of legality, to which Sony may have some respect for us. But Sony could probably shut this or any site down at will, without proper evidence for it. So just imagine how easy their job would be, if they had evidence for it...

Let's not give Sony a reason to shut us down.

Message from Webmaster

Can all PSP visitors and members please not at all upload or link to gameboots on DCEmu servers, any material should be deleted ASAP or risk being banned.

Blog Entries

thanks for the info, people do need to take notice

hmm i have to agree altough i have downloaded these leaked tools viaa torrent but i dont know how to use use them and that gangs of london aswel so i would't want homebrew sites to close down, so i agree

Default well said

as i saw the gameboots being released i couldnt belive it was legitimate to redistribute theese files

nuff sed there not that cool anyway

peace

Blog Entries

anyone sees them please report to a mod or pm me and ill deal with them

I was wondering the legality of all the new gameboots that are coming out... thanks for the 411

oh wow, lol, the tools leaked, now what?
    lol.

i liked (shoosh ikept one) but i dint think they would be illegal but this thred has kept me informed thx sonys really havein a ruff time arent they

DCEmu Newbie

I think you'll find any software made for the psp needs to be licensed for it to be legal. So why bother posting this as news.

DCEmu Regular

Under the Digital Millennium Copyright act, all forms of Homebrew and the methods of making them work are illegal because they bypass safeguards designed to protect against unauthorized usage of Sony's hardware.

So you entire website is illegal. Whether you have a Gameboot or not will hardly make a difference. The only reason Sony hasn't shut down this website is just because they aren't ready yet to commit the legal resources to shut it down. Instead they want to demonstrate their technical prowess by out-coding Homebrew makers with more and more Firmware updates.

ALL FORMS OF SYSTEM EXPLOITS ARE ILLEGAL UNDER THE DMCA.

This includes all of the exploits used to load all Homebrew games. The GTA loader, the swap technique, all of those "%" files. All of them are devices to bypass Sony's lockouts, and all of them are illegal under the DMCA.

SONY WANTS TO SHUT DOWN ALL UNAUTHORIZED PSP DEVELOPMENT INCLUDING HOMEBREW.

Don't even think for a moment they are cool with any kind of Homebrew software, regardless of the form it takes. You're website is the Enemy as far as they are concerned.

I know alot of you are young kids with idealistic visions of the difference between Homebrew and ISO loaders. But to Sony, they are all the same thing. Go ask Sony, they will happily inform you of all of the technical and legal reasons why you should never run Homebrew of any kind.

Now, please stop being such a weenie and report *ALL* PSP news for a change. This website is beginning to go down hill. I had to learn about Dev Hook from Google. You can keep hiding your heads in the sand, but that won't stop Sony from bringing this place down whenever it suits them. All you're doing hurting the website and doing an extreme disservice to your readers.

PLEASE REPORT THE NEWS!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information