Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Intel Pentium D 930 actually worth buying?

As for an energy saving PSU, I have never heard of one. Like I said before a PSU DOES NOT use energy, it just converts it into the power needed for the rest of the computer but their may be certin brands that do it with less waste.

That intel would consume more like 138 watts in reality, like I said intel doesnt measure it like the rest of the industry does.

When OC'ing the processor needs even more power, even just a 200mhz OC will put the watts used atleast 178 watts.

Good overclocking motherboards are DFI and ASUS, I wouldnt touch any intel motherboard with a ten foot pool they use cheap chipsets.

As for what powersupply you would need, it depends on what parts your using which video cards, how much ram, how many hard drives and what kinds, theres litterally tons of variables.

Take a look at this, it will give you an idea on what PSU you will need.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

DCEmu Regular

well ok then...

i think it looks like i am going to need a 400W-500W PSU then.

any good? or would it take up much of the bills?

also, the 930 uses 95W, thus wen overclocked, i assume it will be 135W?

A 400-500w PSU should be fine but what I have been trying to say is that the PSU doesnt take up any power bills at all, It is everything else that does.

Aslo the 930 doesnt use 95w, Ignore what the Specs show. 95w is incorrect...
    It really uses more like 135w therefore when Overclocking it will be like 160w.

Intel chips are power hogs because they cannot legally use "Silicon On Insulator" when making their CPU's, SOI is owned by IBM and only AMD can use it so their chips are cooler and more energy efficent.

DCEmu Regular

ok then, but 135W to 160W isnt that bad is it?

and especially wen u are using a Zalman CNPS9500 LED fan for it.

Ya stuff like watts a processor uses really doesnt matter much.

Good pick on a zalman fan for it, it would be a shame if you used stock cooling for OCing.

And remember to get a good motherboard, DFI if you can afford it. They are the best of the best but will only take other high quality parts. For example it wont run at all on cheap ram, think of it like sticking regular gas in a porsche.

ASUS also make good motherboards, sort of a compromise between the customability of a DFI mobo and price. Lots more features than normal brands at a good price, But still doesnt have nearly the options that DFI has.

DCEmu Regular

oh ok then.

thanks very much.

wat is stock cooling by the way?

also, can u name me some good products which will be reasonable to put into a motherboard? like that are not cheap as u say?

Stock cooling is the Heatsink and Fan that comes with the processor when you buy it. They are made to cool only to what the processor needs at a minimum so they are bad if you plan to overclock.

The best CPU coolers are Thermaltake and Zalman, make sure you use thermal paste on them.

As for good products these are the better manufacturers, I have not tried them all.

RAM - G.SKILL, OCZ, CORSAIR, GEIL, CRUCIAL, PQI, SAMSUNG.

*These companies all have a value series of products and a performance series of products, the value series is typically for average users and the performance is for gamers and overclockers. If you plan to overclock your RAM use a good brands performance series.

PSU - FORTRON, SPARKLE, COOLERMASTER, ANTEC, ENERMAX, ZALMAN, TAGAN

*Make sure you have enough power but it is also important to leave some extra power for upgrade room.

Hard Drives - SAMSUNG, WESTERN DIGITAL, MAXTOR

*Computers usually are not picky about hard drives because only a couple companys make them

As for video cards anything thats made by ATi or nVidia should work fine.

Theres lots of good stuff out there and a lot more rip offs, always try doing a google search to see what other people think about it.

DCEmu Regular

wow! thats alot of good stuff there.

specs that i plan to have in my PC are:

Intel Pentium D 930 3.0GHz (Overclocked somehow to ?) with Zalman CNPS9500 LED fan

4GB DDR RAM

200-400GB HD

2 DVD-R/RW drives or onw which is combo which helps with a big hard drive

Floopy disk drive (of course)

and either an ATI or NVidia graphics card.

those are just the basics. and i am on a tight budget here, so eBay will be my help.

Have you ever overclocked anything before?

If not then I would suggest OCing your video card for pratice, its like a tricicle for OCers.

DCEmu Regular

actually overclocking is something ive never done before, but im very eagar on doing it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information