Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Intel Pentium D 930 actually worth buying?

DCEmu Regular

Talking Is the Intel Pentium D 930 actually worth buying?

Is the Intel Pentium D 930 actually worth buying?

i mighthave mention this in my previous and similar thread, which i have lost the item towards it. but now i have been hanging on to this one for days, having a good chance to win it and if it is worth buying.

cause of me not going out that much, i wouldnt know the actual price of it, even the internet gives me different prices not sure of which is true. can someone tell me what is the selling price of it? as i am from the UK i dont mind if u give me a US price. i am sure it is the same here.

i am somewhere at £85 to be my maxium buying price, even though i am not that rich.

according to this site, it can be overclocked and it is very near matched to the AMD X2 i assume, please double check and read on:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...920-930_3.html

anyways, i would again very appreciate it, and again i do not have much time for it, just hoping i wont loose out on this item like i did with the last. can anyone give me pointers and bad ones aswell, and be harsh also if u wish. anything that will help me if im doing the right thing.

thanks very much. and god bless u lot too.

DCEmu Coder

If you can find it at a much lower price than the newer core 2 duo, it'll do the job.

Go with AMD, they always have had a trick card up their sleeves.

I love it when they let intel have a great product for like a week, then steal their thunder with some sort of outragous announcement.

Quantum Computers anyone?

DCEmu Regular

i see.

very interesting, but i always have my mind set to Intel.

also, the reason why i chose this particular CPU was because it is the only processor in the 900 series to use 95W (the lowest out of the others) and at a good decent and overclockable clockspeed. take a look at the link i have provided and read one from there, it is very comparable to the AMD 64 FX-60, by only a little, and with a good fan also.

i still wonder if the power (watts) of the CPU is still the main reason why the Pc will use alot of electricity and bumb up those bills, or is it the power supply itself?

I would say that the 930 scores even to an Athlon X2 3800+ each of them having their stronger and weaker sides.

But the cheapest your going to find a 930 is about $191.00 US.

Where a X2 3800+ goes below $160.00 US easily, for $191.00 you can get a X2 4200+.

Also AMD processors have the absolute lowest watts needed, 65 Watts for the normal version and an amazing 35 Watts for the energy saving model for about $10 US more.

The watts the processor uses is taken from the powersupply, lower watts mean lower processor temperatures and also lower power bills.

But if you are absolutely attached to having an intel processor thats cool, just expect to pay more for less at this time. I would suggest waiting until intel drops their prices though.

Theres nothing wrong with being a fanboy

DCEmu Coder

If you want to stick with Intel, buy a core 2 duo then.

I love amd but the core 2 duo seems to be the best processors at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by semicolo
    If you want to stick with Intel, buy a core 2 duo then.

I love amd but the core 2 duo seems to be the best processors at the moment.
    I can completely agree with that.

DCEmu Regular

i still dont understand still with the power used in the processors.

is it just there to make sure you buy the correct PSU?

for example, if the 930 uses 95W and my PSU is 300-400W, which one will count for a great deal sum of electric bills?

The Watts represents the maximum current a cpu consumes under an normal load and under its default voltage.

However intel lies on their representations so expect your cpu to consume ~10-15% more than listed.

A PSU does not consume power, it converts AC current into different values of DC current and feeds it to all the devices of a computer. The more power that the parts consume the more power that the PSU has to convert. PSU's have limits on how much power they can convert at maximum, they are rated in watts.

Many PSU companys make cheap products that do not live up to their ratings or give false specs.

Saying that your PSU is 400w is useless because what matters is how many Amps are on each line.
    Cheap companys like to stick lots of amps on the less important 5v and 3.3v lines and very little amps on the important 12v line. Making a powersupply listed as 450w only perform like a 250w.

Never use powersupplys that come with cases or are cheap, the powersupply is the most important part of a computer it wildy affects the overall performance of the entire system.

When feeding you computer consider this, Garbage in Garbage out.

DCEmu Regular

umm ok then.

i was also actually hoping that ther would be an enegy saving PSU about, but i dont know for sure, maybe u can tell me?

From what you said, i think the 930 is a good choice for me (95W including that will remain the same wen OC'ed) also, how much WATTS would u recommend for a computer using of this age and for further higher specs?

and sorry one last thing, acording to that website, they used an ASUS motherboard for the overclocking, and from ive been told, it depends wat motherboard is good for overclocking, may i ask, can an Intel motherboard be very good for the job?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information