Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drivin' my PSP around...

Cool Drivin' my PSP around...

A little update on my GPS/Mapviewer project..

It is slowly shaping up in to something useful...
    I did the first "field testing" of the mapviewer's gps option tonite. The link below points to a small video clip, captured with my casio camera. It is a bit shacky, but it is hard to drive and focus the camera at the same time ;-)

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/Drivin_with_PSP.wmv

[EDIT] Here is another video - in a daylight.
    http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/driving_with_PSP2.wmv
    I changed the cursor for directional arrow for gps mode... I guess to make it really cool I need to turn the map and not the center arrow ;-)

I still need to patch a number of bugs and build some content before a public release. So please be patient ;-)

PS: PM if you are interested in helping to beta-test the viewer and build content for it (POI, custom maps, tutorials, documentation, etc). I need people who actually built and tested gps link, described in the thread below.

DCEmu Newbie

This is tremendously cool!

How complete is the mapping software going to be? Will we be able to get directions from one place to another for example?

wow. this is actually very cool Deniska.
    i think my gps is about to arrive today.
    what is that script called, you are using to download the maps from google? i've tried to find something like that for hours. you must have coded it, for yourself eh?

DCEmu Newbie

http://w3.emailcommunity.net/mypoi/

Is one of many sites where people can download free POI files to import to their GPS nav units.

The cool thing about the PSP vs say a Tom-Tom is that there could be modules made to "emulate" the various units out there. I envision something along the lines of "Please select mode: 1) TomTom 2) Sony U-Nav 3) Garmin xxxx ".... and so on!

If users can import their own poi's it would save you from having to include these with your software, keeping the initial package small in size.

Mapping "engine", modules.

Great project Deniska, seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by csocean
    This is tremendously cool!

How complete is the mapping software going to be? Will we be able to get directions from one place to another for example?
    Don't expect route calculation - I simply don't have the data for it...
    I should be able to do "route import", where you import a route, generated by one of my scripts.
    The software will alert you with the messages like "MERGE ON I-95" once you get close to the next waypoint from the imported route...
    Again, this is not yet implemented, but should not be too hard to code...

Quote Originally Posted by lewbacca
    what is that script called, you are using to download the maps from google? i've tried to find something like that for hours. you must have coded it, for yourself eh?
    Yep, it's a linux/cygwin script.. a little messy at the moment... But you also should be able to download the maps from the viewer itself, using WIFI...

Great job keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by A Fn NOOB
    http://w3.emailcommunity.net/mypoi/

Is one of many sites where people can download free POI files to import to their GPS nav units.

If users can import their own poi's it would save you from having to include these with your software, keeping the initial package small in size.

Mapping "engine", modules.

Great project Deniska, seriously!
    Nice site, thanks for the tip...
    And, of course I am not gonna bundle it with actual data, I am just trying to generate scripts to get different types of POI...

DCEmu Newbie

Hello

I'm searching to use your software in beta test please email me at [email protected]

I 've already been the wire with the Holux GPS. It's working good.

regards

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by deniska
    Nice site, thanks for the tip...
    And, of course I am not gonna bundle it with actual data, I am just trying to generate scripts to get different types of POI...

Yeah, as I said to you before, while some people may care where the nearest Denny's is, I think most PSP'ers would rather have a list of say public/unsecured WIFI spots

I think that the various mfgr's use different file formats for importing POI files, but there seem to be tools available for converting one type to another.

www.gpspassion.com has good info for anyone wanting to brush up on anything related to GPS.

So what are you gonna do, make people post pics of their GPS units running on GPSVIEWER in order to get their beta copy?

You should consider setting up a side-forum for the hardware end of it so that users can share info if they need help setting up their GPS recievers.

When that video makes the rounds on all the various websites this site is going to become a madhouse! lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information