Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will the Day Come When a Big Console Maker Supports Homebrew?

but the question is it better than the psp in homebrew as of right now cause last time i remember gp2x has alot of stuff running slower than the psp counterparts (emulators and such).

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster

What can we as a community do to get the big companies to open a door on their consoles or even get them to release a homebrew dev kit of sorts and a way to play legally on their systems without modding etc.

Anyone got a comment or ideas ?
    Really, why would companies want to waste money? Homebrew is great, however when the big 3 are getting money from respectable 3rd party companies, you can hardly expect them to release dev kits. Sony will have this well sussed after the shambles which is "PSP Firmware". As much as i would like to see homebrew on a big console... it is actually a laughable concept. Bring back sega dreamcast.

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by N1ghtshade
    It makes commercial sense...homebrew is the only reason I bought a psp
    actually they make money from the games they sell not the hardware...

so it make no commercial sense to allow people to devellop an emulator than can play all CPS2 games when they can sell then one by one...

Smile Microsoft will!

I read´ something a few days ago,
    Bill Gates actually shwed some interest in, PSP-homebrew.

So maybe, microsoft will make a handheld, that supports homebrew. It sounds cool to me

The big system developers will not be be able to hold out much longer as the psp whether officially supported or not has shown there to be an actual market for homebrew.What they need is more open minded execs,if not the numbers will take care of it for us!

DCEmu Newbie

Lightbulb

IMO, I think if they set up a sort of "homebrew submission/points system" with a dev kit it would be really profitable. Example:
    1.You develop the game with a bought devkit [either one for people who don't feel like learning code, with precoded commands, gamestyles, physics/mechanics, etc... and a Prokit with tutorials for those who want to code without limitations].
    2. You need this kit to run homebrew.
    3.Devkit comes with a tester, so you can correct bugs etc, then once you're ready to distribute it, you send out the compiled program to [insert VG company here] and they give you 100 points or something.
    4. You buy homebrew games for 25 prepaid/earned points. You're able to see ratings, downloads, etc. of the game.
    5. If you buy the game, you're intitled to free updates from the user.
    6. You have to rate the game after 1 hour of gameplay.
    7. Developer gets 1 additional point for every 20 downloads, or something of that sort.

I think a point system a-la-360 for homebrew would work, and be very profitable. This game company can always get to 3rd party companies and grant rights for sprites in their devkits, and with every game at a database they can easily weed out illegally made games/apps, which they could then send warning strikes for the developer [and if the dev has like, say 3 stikes, they'd be banned from use of the software].

Whichever next gen console supports homebrew, thats the one thats gona sell the most.

There is no money in it for them. They would rather sell games for 49.99, then have homebrew, which they get no money for. And I would think that Gates had one too many if he considered that!

I don't know if I like the idea of selling homebrew,but definitly an intersting idea trebulator.It's simply put free vs nonfree while the free(homebrew) may not have the complexity of nonfree(official games)their complexity is on the rise and constantly improved if the current homebrew trend continues nonfree simply can't win,time scale is the only issue.Just look how many people have been introduced to programming by the psp homebrew scene.
    All you have to do is look at the opensource movement as a whole(which homebrew is a part of)and you will see the numbers only grow and the software produced only gets better.
    It's part of a movement to a free market based on information exchange not the fake free market crreated by orthodox capatilism which only breeds "rule by the rich".
    note I said "othodox" as the free market I dream of is like capitalism or is a form of.

what does homebrew really mean though? the majority of the homebrew umbrela is comprised of jacked sprites and games being ported on systems they dont belong on. very rarely do people make real games. When they do they are rip offs of older games like "_________ tetris" and im sure you cant even use that word. And I doubt bill gates said that. Maybe you misunderstood a article by some loser named Dill Gates or Will Gates? Either way he doesnt own sony. and the closer you get to h-bru the easier it gets to put a system on your laptop which kills the console. h-bru is a dumbed down Pandora.. and of course you all being in favor is an obvious conflict of interests. the day they gave you a kit would be the day the inmates served on the parole boards..

and what is a gspx? or gs2x? give me pics and details

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information